    What about just jpg, gif, bmp?

    I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
    this format to XML?

    Reds, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Reds

    Guest

    On 11 Jan, 19:07, Reds <> wrote:
    > What are the ways to represent XML graphics?
    > Is SVG the most practical way?
    > Is there a way that doesn't need a conversion process, as SVG does?
    > What about just jpg, gif, bmp?
    >
    > I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
    > this format to XML?

    Please see partially relevant answer at:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.text.xml/msg/05800ca60a1c2525

    In general it wouldn't be possible or sensible to convert a bmp, jpg
    or gif into a vector format.

    Some of PowerPoint will be vector based though so it might be possible
    to do a particla conversion with the right tool.

    HTH,

    Pete Cordell
    Codalogic
    Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for XML C++ data binding

    , Jan 11, 2008

  3. (Replying only to comp.text.xml; the tw.* group is not reachable via my
    news servers.)

    Reds wrote:
    > What are the ways to represent XML graphics?
    > Is SVG the most practical way?

    Depends on what you're going to be doing.

    SVG is certainly a suitable language for expressing a graphical model in
    XML.

    > What about just jpg, gif, bmp?

    As far as XML is concerned, those are all just binary data. You can't
    embed arbitrary binary in an XML document, but there's no reason you
    couldn't reference it as a separate URI (the same solution HTML and
    XHTML used). If you really need to put binary data inside the XML
    document, you'll want to convert it in a form XML will accept -- the
    usual solution is base-64 encoding.

    > I have the original graphics in PowerPoint. What are the ways to go from
    > this format to XML?

    I know nothing about Powerpoint's internal representation. Try asking
    Microsoft, or finding a tool which already does what you need. I *think*
    the Open Office suite can import Powerpoint files into their
    representation (which I think is XML based), but I haven't tried doing it.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 11, 2008