XML/HTML to document with pagination + section numbering

Discussion in 'XML' started by Andy Glew, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Andy Glew

    Andy Glew Guest

    I have long looked for (and occasionally posted
    questions to groups such as this about) a tool
    that can take a group of HTML pages (nowadays
    XHTML, or XML) and produce a nicely formatted
    printable documented, featuring.

    * pagination
    * section numbering
    * including Dewey decimal section numbering
    such as Section 1.2.3 for H3
    * links converted to cross references
    "See section 1.2.4 on page 29"

    I just ran across fop,
    http://xml.apache.org/fop/

    This appears to go a long way towards solving
    my problem. But, I admit to a big linguistic gap
    - i.e. I don't understand a lot of the XML/XSL-FO
    references.

    So, I was wondering if someone can answer a few
    questions about fop for me?

    Q1: I assume that fop can paginate, as I describe
    above. Similarly, fop can section number. Right?

    Q2: Can foop do Dewey decimal section numbering,
    all the way down to H9 -> 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9?

    I can't find any references to Dewey decimal
    or Outline section numbering in fop / XSL-FO
    documentation.

    Q3: Can fop do the cross references as I describe above?

    send email to
    Andy Glew, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Andy Glew

    John Dirdal Guest

    Andy,
    Corena has an xml/sgml page formatter named Life*TYPE that will answer yes
    to your three Qs. An evaluation license can be downloaded from this link:
    http://www.corena.no/lifetype/. Currently the product is avaiable on
    Solaris and Linux, a Windows version will be available next week.

    Life*TYPE takes an xml file and a stylesheet as input and produces
    postscript / pdf with link functionality. The challenge in producing nicely
    formatted documents lays in programming the stylesheet. You might want to
    study this product. If you find it helpful we can give you some input on
    setting up the layout.

    Regards,
    John Dirdal
    CORENA NORGE AS.
    / www.corena.no

    John Dirdal, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Andy Glew

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Andy Glew wrote:
    > I have long looked for (and occasionally posted
    > questions to groups such as this about) a tool
    > that can take a group of HTML pages (nowadays
    > XHTML, or XML) and produce a nicely formatted
    > printable documented, featuring.

    And I have posted, at least twice, a reply to use XSLT to
    create LaTeX source for making PDFs, instead of using XSL:FO.
    Maybe it didn't propagate properly.

    > * pagination

    Yes, automatic

    > * section numbering

    Yes, automatic

    > * including Dewey decimal section numbering
    > such as Section 1.2.3 for H3

    Yes, the default

    > * links converted to cross references

    Yes, trivial

    > "See section 1.2.4 on page 29"

    Ditto.

    I'm not clear why you're still searching. XSL:FO implementations
    like FOP can do this, but only by you reinventing several dozen
    wheels every time. By using LaTeX you tap into 25 years' worth
    of typographic experience.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, May 8, 2004