XML in an embeded platform

jcpmont

Hi everyone,
I am working on a java program (running on a PC) that will talk
through TCP/IP to some embedded devices running VXworks. I need to
send and receive messages from the devices, something simple like a
command with 5 to 10 values. Then wait for some kind of answer that
could also have 5-10 values. I need to have enough flexibility to add
more commands in the future.

I though XML could be used for that. XML is kind of a natural for
java, but I am not so sure for the embedded programs. They are
relatively small and I do not really want to have the program double
in size just because I added an XML parser. My question is:

Should I use XML? The alternative is to do some custom parsing of the
message string.
If yes, where can I get a small C library that will do the XML parsing
on the embedded system. I do not really need all the trimmings (like
DTD, etc).

Thanks
JC

Roberto Nunnari

relatively small and I do not really want to have the program double
in size just because I added an XML parser. My question is:

This exactly why I developped and now distribute as Open source with
GNU LGPL licence two small libraries for parsing XML

Java: NunniMJAX http://nunnimjax.nunnisoft.ch/en/
C: NunniMCAX http://nunnimcax.nunnisoft.ch/en/

the first is below 30 Kb in size and the second, after stripping the
symbols away is below 40 Kb

They are somewhat similar to SAX conceptually, sequential and event
driven.. that means that if you know SAX, using it will be
straitforward. The API is so simple and minimal that I believe
anybody can learn how to use it in a couple of minutes ;) just
looking at the example included with the distribuition.

Regards.
--
Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
mailto:[email protected]

Roberto Nunnari

by the way.. how much have vxworks and Tornado changed in the last
3 years? I worked for 4 years with them...