    Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    images etc?
    Mike, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Mike wrote:
    > Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    > current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    > images etc?

    It wouldn't replace them, it would simply be a new format for them. As
    for bitmap images, that wouldn't really be practical or useful.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Mike

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    > current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    > images etc?

    A great many office suites already use XML as the format for their files,
    but as Leif says it wouldn't be practical for use in images - the shear
    size of the files would be a put off to say the least :eek:)

    I also don't think that it will, or even should, become a file standard
    for presenting documents on the WWW. Jukka gives some good insight into
    why this should be so in his article "Lurching towards Babel" in which he
    explains that this move would be draconian and one backwards to the days
    of typesetting macros.

    See: Korpela, J. (1998, July). Lurching Toward Babel: HTML, CSS, and XML.
    Computer, 31 (7), 103-104, 106.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Mike

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:04:02 -0000, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    >current data exchange formats

    No, because XML isn't a standard for documents, it's a transport level
    protocol that you can use to define standards on top of. We're
    already at the point were an ability to handle XML correctly is almost
    mandatory for any new tools. Sadly we're also seeing PHB's buy two
    disconencted applications and expect them to talk "because they both
    use XML".

    Andy Dingley, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Mike

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <br75h2$2b34$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    > current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    > images etc?

    No, XML is just a way to format content

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 10, 2003
  6. I agree with all the responses made so far. However I have to say that I
    like the way Star Office handles this problem. They bundle up the XML file
    and any other files (images, etc) into a ZIP file. That way they get the
    benefits of smaller files, but the data is accessible.

    Personally I think many organizations are willing to take some of the
    disadvantages of defaulting to XML (Larger file sizes, slower opening) for
    the benefits of having all documents in XML as its easier to mine long term.

    --
    Chris Kunicki
    www.OfficeZealot.com - Office related news, articles and tools

    Chris Kunicki \(OfficeZealot.com\), Dec 10, 2003
  7. Mike

    Grunff Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Sadly we're also seeing PHB's buy two
    > disconencted applications and expect them to talk "because they both
    > use XML".

    Man, tell me about it - the number of times I've heard "It'll
    take how long?? It has an 'XML link' doesn't it?"...

    --
    Grunff
    Grunff, Dec 10, 2003
  8. In article <br75h2$2b34$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    > current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    > images etc?

    Is it "National Get Your Coursework Done in alt.html" week?
    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > A great many office suites already use XML as the format for their files,
    > but as Leif says it wouldn't be practical for use in images - the shear
    > size of the files would be a put off to say the least :eek:)

    Yes, XML might suck for bitmapped graphics[1], but not for vector graphics
    (q.v. SVG)

    [1] but you could always use compressed XML files.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 10, 2003
  10. "Chris Kunicki (OfficeZealot.com)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I agree with all the responses made so far. However I have to say that I
    > like the way Star Office handles this problem. They bundle up the XML file
    > and any other files (images, etc) into a ZIP file. That way they get the
    > benefits of smaller files, but the data is accessible.

    If you can handle zip files anyway. Seems kind of self defeating to use xml
    if they are wrapping it in a binary format, no matter how commonplace, it
    still means an xml parser is not all you need and that the data is to an
    extent less available.

    Daniel O'Connell, Dec 10, 2003
  11. Daniel O'Connell wrote:

    > If you can handle zip files anyway. Seems kind of self defeating to use xml
    > if they are wrapping it in a binary format, no matter how commonplace, it
    > still means an xml parser is not all you need and that the data is to an
    > extent less available.

    The purpose of the OpenOffice.org format is not to be non-binary; but to
    be readable and writable with freely available, non-proprietary tools.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 10, 2003
  12. "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel O'Connell wrote:
    >
    > > If you can handle zip files anyway. Seems kind of self defeating to use

    xml
    > > if they are wrapping it in a binary format, no matter how commonplace,

    it
    > > still means an xml parser is not all you need and that the data is to an
    > > extent less available.

    > The purpose of the OpenOffice.org format is not to be non-binary; but to
    > be readable and writable with freely available, non-proprietary tools.

    That doesn't change that the usage of xml is slightly less important because
    of compression. It just means using another library, not nessecerly a bad
    thing, but it dilutes the value of claiming xml support a little bit, imho.
    Open office shouldn't claim it as an xml format, but xml+zip format, as an
    xml parser alone is useless in that situation.

    Daniel O'Connell, Dec 10, 2003
  13. Mike

    Louis Somers Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in news:br75h2$2b34$-
    berlin.de:

    > Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
    > current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
    > images etc?

    I think it will be (is allready) a standard for most text-related-cross-
    platform-web-based applications.

    It will never be for bitmaps, sound, or things like that.

    Vector based grafics or midi sound might get xml-ed in the future though.

    --
    News Updater, No cgi-bin or database needed
    http://www.xmlssoftware.com/NUpdater
    Louis Somers, Dec 11, 2003