XML In the future?

Mike

Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

Leif K-Brooks

Mike said:
Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

It wouldn't replace them, it would simply be a new format for them. As
for bitmap images, that wouldn't really be practical or useful.

Dylan Parry

Mike said:
Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

A great many office suites already use XML as the format for their files,
but as Leif says it wouldn't be practical for use in images - the shear
size of the files would be a put off to say the least :eek:)

I also don't think that it will, or even should, become a file standard
for presenting documents on the WWW. Jukka gives some good insight into
why this should be so in his article "Lurching towards Babel" in which he
explains that this move would be draconian and one backwards to the days
of typesetting macros.

See: Korpela, J. (1998, July). Lurching Toward Babel: HTML, CSS, and XML.
Computer, 31 (7), 103-104, 106.

Andy Dingley

Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats

No, because XML isn't a standard for documents, it's a transport level
protocol that you can use to define standards on top of. We're
already at the point were an ability to handle XML correctly is almost
mandatory for any new tools. Sadly we're also seeing PHB's buy two
disconencted applications and expect them to talk "because they both
use XML".

Whitecrest

Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

No, XML is just a way to format content

Chris Kunicki \(OfficeZealot.com\)

I agree with all the responses made so far. However I have to say that I
like the way Star Office handles this problem. They bundle up the XML file
and any other files (images, etc) into a ZIP file. That way they get the
benefits of smaller files, but the data is accessible.

Personally I think many organizations are willing to take some of the
disadvantages of defaulting to XML (Larger file sizes, slower opening) for
the benefits of having all documents in XML as its easier to mine long term.

Grunff

Andy said:
Sadly we're also seeing PHB's buy two
disconencted applications and expect them to talk "because they both
use XML".

Man, tell me about it - the number of times I've heard "It'll
take how long?? It has an 'XML link' doesn't it?"...

Hywel Jenkins

Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

Is it "National Get Your Coursework Done in alt.html" week?

Toby A Inkster

Dylan said:
A great many office suites already use XML as the format for their files,
but as Leif says it wouldn't be practical for use in images - the shear
size of the files would be a put off to say the least :eek:)

Yes, XML might suck for bitmapped graphics[1], but not for vector graphics
(q.v. SVG)

[1] but you could always use compressed XML files.

Daniel O'Connell

Chris Kunicki (OfficeZealot.com) said:
I agree with all the responses made so far. However I have to say that I
like the way Star Office handles this problem. They bundle up the XML file
and any other files (images, etc) into a ZIP file. That way they get the
benefits of smaller files, but the data is accessible.

If you can handle zip files anyway. Seems kind of self defeating to use xml
if they are wrapping it in a binary format, no matter how commonplace, it
still means an xml parser is not all you need and that the data is to an
extent less available.

Toby A Inkster

Daniel said:
If you can handle zip files anyway. Seems kind of self defeating to use xml
if they are wrapping it in a binary format, no matter how commonplace, it
still means an xml parser is not all you need and that the data is to an
extent less available.

The purpose of the OpenOffice.org format is not to be non-binary; but to
be readable and writable with freely available, non-proprietary tools.

Daniel O'Connell

Toby A Inkster said:
The purpose of the OpenOffice.org format is not to be non-binary; but to
be readable and writable with freely available, non-proprietary tools.
That doesn't change that the usage of xml is slightly less important because
of compression. It just means using another library, not nessecerly a bad
thing, but it dilutes the value of claiming xml support a little bit, imho.
Open office shouldn't claim it as an xml format, but xml+zip format, as an
xml parser alone is useless in that situation.

Louis Somers

Do we feel it is possible that XML could become a standard to replace
current data exchange formats such as documents, spreadsheet worksheets,
images etc?

I think it will be (is allready) a standard for most text-related-cross-
platform-web-based applications.

It will never be for bitmaps, sound, or things like that.

Vector based grafics or midi sound might get xml-ed in the future though.