XML & MSIE: Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTDnot supported.

Tjerk Wolterink

When i open the following xml file in internetexplorer:

<!DOCTYPE xc:content [
<!ENTITY % xhtml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
%xhtml;
]>

<xc:xcontent xmlns:xc="http://www.wolterinkwebdesign.com/xml/xcontent" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" module="gastenboek">
<xc:bericht>
<xc:id>1</xc:id>
<xc:naam type="string"><![CDATA[Tjerk Wolterink]]></xc:naam>
<xc:email type="email"><![CDATA[[email protected]]]></xc:email>
<xc:rating type="option">
<xc:empty/>
</xc:rating>
<xc:content type="text">
Ik moet zeggen je hebt er een mooi werkje van gemaakt<br />
Zeker dat xml buttontje onderin maakt het compleet
</xc:content>
</xc:bericht>
</xc:xcontent>

Then internet explorer says the following:

David Carlisle

What am i doing wrong??

Nothing.

When MSXML says

Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not supported.

They mean,
"We know this is a legal construct, but we are not going to support it"

You can modify the xhtml dtd so it does work in IE (eg the XHTML+MathML
one at
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/
works
but since your input file clearly isn't XHTML, why have the DTD
reference at all?

David

Tjerk Wolterink

David said:
Nothing.

When MSXML says

Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not supported.

They mean,
"We know this is a legal construct, but we are not going to support it"

You can modify the xhtml dtd so it does work in IE (eg the XHTML+MathML
one at
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/
works
but since your input file clearly isn't XHTML, why have the DTD
reference at all?

David

Because it can contain html, the xml is generated from a database,
this xml file is then put in an xsl file, and that xsl file should
not affect the xhtml, and it only works when i use a namespace for xhtml in the xml file.

David Carlisle

Tjerk Wolterink said:
Because it can contain html, the xml is generated from a database,
this xml file is then put in an xsl file, and that xsl file should
not affect the xhtml, and it only works when i use a namespace for xhtml in the xml file.

Yes but unless your DTD reference declares _all_ of the elements used,
not just the XHTML ones, the file will not be dtd-valid anyway so
there's not much to be gained in having a DTD at all.

The only thing that can be gained is defaulting of the xhtml namespace
declarations and that can't be made to work in IE. As the message said
it is an intentional non-conformance by MS.

The namespace Rec incidentally does advise against defaulting namespace
declarations. This also would fail with mozilla, for different reasons,
mozilla does not read external dtd files, so would never see the default
namespace declaration.

Can't you modify your generation from the datatabase so that your top
level element has
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/199/xhtml"
which is all you need to ensure that unprefixed html elements are XHTML
and matched by your stylesheet.

David

Tjerk Wolterink

David said:
[...]

i do not follow you there.

My top level element has xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"

Here look at the xml:

===

[...]

I do not have a DTD for the <xc: namespace, i'm planning to build a xsd for the xml format.
But i do use :
<!DOCTYPE xc:content [
<!ENTITY % xhtml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
%xhtml;
]>

Because the <xc:content xml file can contain xhtml entities, if i do not add this doctype declaration
then my xsl parser will complain (the xslt processor does not now &nbsp; therefore i have the doctype declaration).

So what do you exactly mean, how can i solve this problem?

Richard Tobin

Tjerk Wolterink said:
Because the <xc:content xml file can contain xhtml entities, if i do not
add this doctype declaration
then my xsl parser will complain (the xslt processor does not now &nbsp;
therefore i have the doctype declaration).

You can just include the entity definition part of the DTD instead:

<!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
"xhtml-lat1.ent">
%HTMLlat1;

<!ENTITY % HTMLsymbol PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Symbols for XHTML//EN"
"xhtml-symbol.ent">
%HTMLsymbol;

<!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special for XHTML//EN"
"xhtml-special.ent">
%HTMLspecial;

-- Richard

David Carlisle

My top level element has xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"

so it has. Sorry.

Because the <xc:content xml file can contain xhtml entities, if i do not add this doctype declaration
then my xsl parser will complain (the xslt processor does not now &nbsp; therefore i have the doctype declaration).

If you only need the entity definitions then you can just include those,
you don't need the full XHTML dtd

eg:

<!DOCTYPE xc:content [
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-symbol.ent">
%HTMLsymbol;

<!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC
"-//W3C//ENTITIES Special for XHTML//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent">
%HTMLspecial;
]>
<xc:content...

possibly replacing http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/ by a URI to a local
copy on your file system, to save hitting a remote server every time.

Or as I say you can use a version of teh XHTMl DTD that works with IE, eg

<!DOCTYPE xc:content SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">"
<xc:content...

but that's a rather big DTD to download every time if you just want the
HTMl entities.

David