XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea?????

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by iKiLL, Dec 21, 2006.

  1. iKiLL

    iKiLL Guest

    Hi All

    I was hoping some one could give me some guidance on the matter of sending
    data over GPRS.

    I have taken over an application written for Windows mobile 5.0 with VS2005.

    It is currently communicating with a web service via GPRS.

    The Web service places all the data into objects and then returns it to the
    PDA. And the same happens when sending stuff to the Web service from the
    PDA.

    My concern is the amount of Meta data(xml) that is being sent just to
    describe the Data itself.

    Is there a better way of doing this? Or do I have to live with it if I want
    to use OOP.

    Thanks

    ink
    iKiLL, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Hi,

    First of all it;s a bad thing to cross-post to so many groups at the same
    time, do not do it again.

    You will have to experiment and see the performance of the app (as well as
    the amount of data being transfered) before decidng to change the app, maybe
    it's more expensive to change the app behavior than to simply get a better
    data plan from the cellular provider.

    I hvae one such application and in my case it was a huge difference using
    XML than using other form of data. so I ended using a csv file (not really
    using , but a non-printable char) and zipping the file before send it.

    --
    Ignacio Machin
    machin AT laceupsolutions com

    Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \), Dec 21, 2006

  3. iKiLL

    iKiLL Guest

    Hi Ignacio

    Thanks for your input on this topic. Much appreciated.

    I am sorry that my cross posting bothered you, but i don't feel that i have
    posted to any group that would not benefit from this topic of conversation.

    Kind regards,

    ink

    "Ignacio Machin ( .NET/ C# MVP )" <machin TA laceupsolutions.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    iKiLL, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Hi,

    It's not that bother me or not, it's bad nettiquete.

    Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \), Dec 21, 2006
  5. ASP.NET? Web services? The Compact Framework group is all you needed.

    If the cost of the human-readability is very high, maybe it's not worth it
    to the customer. *We* can't make that call, however. XML will be bigger
    than just about any other representation, so it's the worst case...

    Paul T.

    Paul G. Tobey [eMVP], Dec 21, 2006
  6. iKiLL

    iKiLL Guest