XML page works on XP but not on Mac

rboucher

I am developing a page which loads XML data into a webpage almost
exactly like the sample page listed below.

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/tryit.asp?filename=cd_list

On a windows machine (XP), I get data populated in the page within the

On a Macintosh, using any browser (ie Safari, Netscape, Firefox, ie) I
get no data displayed.

Where can I go to get this mystery solved?

Thx for the help.

Rick

Andy Dingley

I am developing a page which loads XML data into a webpage almost
exactly like the sample page listed below.
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/tryit.asp?filename=cd_list

3 problems:

w3schools.com is full of bogus crap and is nothing to do with the W3C,
despite passing itself off as such. It should not be trusted and
probably ought not to be read at all.

This is the non-standard and (arguably) obsolete M$oft "XML data
islands" technique. It's not a bad technology as an idea, but it relies
on a gross abuse of HTML standards (inventing the <XML> tag) and so
isn't supported widely. Just don't use it! Use AJAX if you must, or
server-side techniques are generally better.

You didn't post a URL to your site, so it's hard for anyone to help.

At least you didnt' use the even more obsolete "DSO" techniques.

rboucher

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the straightening out. My unposted link/script is 4 years
old and has passwords associated with it
and I felt the link I provided fairly well addressed the problem I am
having.

So I'm headed to AJAX and a revamp/upgrade of the site/script I am
working on.

Your comments much appreciated.

Rick