XML parser

Alex

Hello all,

As I don't have any experience with XML parsers, I'm looking for your
advice in this group.
In the project I'm involved with, we are dealing with parsing of XML
messages that are coming from server. The parser that we are currently
using is not able to:
- parse non-ASCII Unicode text
- parse unary XML elements
- parse the text block between XML elemnts
- handle specific characters, like '

I need to find a good XML parser that will be integrated in the plug
for server, so could you make me some suggestion?

Thank you a lot,
Aleksandra

Juergen Kahrs

Alex said:
As I don't have any experience with XML parsers, I'm looking for your
advice in this group.
In the project I'm involved with, we are dealing with parsing of XML
messages that are coming from server. The parser that we are currently
using is not able to:
- parse non-ASCII Unicode text
- parse unary XML elements
- parse the text block between XML elemnts
- handle specific characters, like '

This sounds like a prototype parser that simply
parses some ASCII-tags and not more.
I need to find a good XML parser that will be integrated in the plug
for server, so could you make me some suggestion?

This question has been answere here many times.
Use Google to search for answers in the Google
archive of this newsgroup. The answer depends
on the Operating System you are using, the programming
language you are using and the parsing concept (DOM or SAX).

Joe Kesselman

Alex said:
The parser that we are currently using is not able to:
- parse unary XML elements
- parse the text block between XML elemnts
- handle specific characters, like '

Then it isn't an XML parser. (I'm willing to let folks cheat on the
"only ASCII" issue, though that's a Bad Idea, but an XML parser has to
support XML syntax.)

Good parsers certainly exist. I'm biased since I've contributed to it,
but my first suggestion for a general-purpose parser in either Java or
C++ would be Xerces, available from Apache; IBM's main current product
parser is a somewhat enhanced version of the Xerces code.

But there are certainly lots of other parser packages. Even the W3C has
given up trying to track them all, and just suggests you do a websearch
for "XML parser" combined with the language(s) you're interested in.