XML Parsing problem using DOM Parser: HELP NEEDED

burn_hall

Hi,
I have a problem and can't figure it out and need your help, please
look at the following code and the output also a xml file snippet is
down there too.
Looking at the output I don't know why it's not according to the
code.

Following code is pretty much clear: When method starts execution
<Pat> Node is passed it has childNodes
Inside for-loop
if x.localName == 'id': check for validTine and calls the same
method again,
now executes elif x.localName == 'validTime': check for the
appropriate childNode and calls the method again,
now inside if temp_node.localName == 'low': calls the method but
instead of just executing elif x.localName == 'low' and
x.parentNode.localName == 'validTime':
and printing only
print " In low"
it prints all the rest too i.e.
print "In high"
print "In high1"
print "In high2"
print "In high3"
print "In high4"
print "In high5"

then again in the for-loop of validTime this time executes elif
temp_node.localName == 'high': but instead of
just executing elif x.localName == 'high' and
x.parentNode.localName == 'validTime':
and printing only
print "In high"
it prints all the rest too i.e.
print "In low"
print "In high1"
print "In high2"
print "In high3"
print "In high4"
print "In high5"

and it continues for the rest.

Why it when executing
if temp_node.localName == 'low':
print " **** low"
self.iterate(x)
only executes
elif x.localName == 'low' and x.parentNode.localName
== 'validTime':
print " In low"

and so on. Why it iterates through all the rest elements too and
when the condition for one is being checked.
Is it the normal way that xml parsing is handled in python. If so
what's the best way
to handle this situation using DOM(Parser). As I need to parse the
xml-file it's pretty big and each Node
can have nested childNodes and so forth as the example shows. But
anytime parsing the Node doesn't stops and jumps to the right
condition
as shown in the following sample: Any help is appreciated

def iterate(self,node):
print '0 === %s' % node.localName

for x in node.childNodes:
if x.nodeType == Node.TEXT_NODE:
pass
else:
print "1 **** %s" % x.localName

if x.localName == 'id':
print " **** id"
for temp_node in x.childNodes:
if temp_node.localName == 'validTime':
self.iterate(x)

elif x.localName == 'validTime':
for temp_node in x.childNodes:
if temp_node.localName
== 'low':
print " **** low"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high':
print " **** low"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high1':
print " **** high1"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high2':
print " **** high2"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high3':
print " **** high3"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high4':
print " **** high4"
self.iterate(x)
elif temp_node.localName
== 'high5':
print " **** high5"
self.iterate(x)
else:
pass

elif x.localName == 'low' and x.parentNode.localName
== 'validTime':
print " In low"
elif x.localName == 'high' and x.parentNode.localName
== 'validTime':
print "In high"
elif x.localName == 'high1' and
x.parentNode.localName == 'validTime':