    programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
    of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques

    sree
    sree, Apr 16, 2005

  2. sree wrote:

    > I am working on a project that requires improving the performance of
    > xml to reduce the access time . I use xml to take the values from a

    XML is a data format. A data formance doesn't have
    a measurable "performance". You probably mean the
    time needed by your XML parser.

    > database located in US and store the values and use them in my
    > programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
    > of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques

    I guess you use an XML parser which reads the complete
    file into memory before your program can start working
    with the data. This approach is usually called the
    DOM approach. The DOM approach is inappropriate if you
    need to process XML data fast and also if you need to
    process large files.

    You should use a parser that employs the SAX approach.
    I recommend Expat.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Apr 16, 2005

  3. "sree" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > I am working on a project that requires improving the performance of
    > xml to reduce the access time . I use xml to take the values from a
    > database located in US and store the values and use them in my
    > programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
    > of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques
    >
    > sree

    You might look at the new standard for Binary XML. It ought to decrease your
    processing
    time substantially, both in I/O and in parsing.
    Ed

    Edward A. Feustel, Apr 17, 2005