XML performance improvement

sree

hello,

I am working on a project that requires improving the performance of
xml to reduce the access time . I use xml to take the values from a
database located in US and store the values and use them in my
programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques

sree

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

sree said:
I am working on a project that requires improving the performance of
xml to reduce the access time . I use xml to take the values from a

XML is a data format. A data formance doesn't have
a measurable "performance". You probably mean the
time needed by your XML parser.
database located in US and store the values and use them in my
programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques

I guess you use an XML parser which reads the complete
file into memory before your program can start working
with the data. This approach is usually called the
DOM approach. The DOM approach is inappropriate if you
need to process XML data fast and also if you need to
process large files.

You should use a parser that employs the SAX approach.
I recommend Expat.

Edward A. Feustel

sree said:
hello,

I am working on a project that requires improving the performance of
xml to reduce the access time . I use xml to take the values from a
database located in US and store the values and use them in my
programs. The program is currently taking 15 sec while I want a speed
of 8 seconds.Please suggest some improvement techniques

sree
You might look at the new standard for Binary XML. It ought to decrease your
processing
time substantially, both in I/O and in parsing.
Ed