    pm(perl module).

    Thanks.

    , Feb 4, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I am getting an error when I use use XML::LibXML(); in my .pl file.

    > Binary build 808 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    > http://www.ActiveState.com
    >
    > I was wondering if I have to upgrade or how do I get the required
    > pm(perl module).

    XML::LibXML isn't part of the core Perl distribution, so you'll have to
    install it separately. Go to the URL you listed above and follow their
    instructions for obtaining and installing a compiled and packaged PPM of
    the module.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Feb 4, 2005

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I am getting an error when I use use XML::LibXML(); in my .pl

    file.
    > > Binary build 808 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    > > http://www.ActiveState.com
    > >
    > > I was wondering if I have to upgrade or how do I get the required
    > > pm(perl module).

    > XML::LibXML isn't part of the core Perl distribution, so you'll
    > have to install it separately. Go to the URL you listed above
    > and follow their instructions for obtaining and installing a
    > compiled and packaged PPM of the module.

    Really, their website says they don't have PPMs.

    For pointers to other PPM respositoies or how to build XML::LibXML
    yourself on Win32 see numerous previous threads on this subject.

    , Feb 4, 2005

    wrote:
    > Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am getting an error when I use use XML::LibXML(); in my .pl

    > file.
    > > > Binary build 808 provided by ActiveState Corp.
    > > > http://www.ActiveState.com
    > > >
    > > > I was wondering if I have to upgrade or how do I get the required
    > > > pm(perl module).

    > > XML::LibXML isn't part of the core Perl distribution, so you'll
    > > have to install it separately. Go to the URL you listed above
    > > and follow their instructions for obtaining and installing a
    > > compiled and packaged PPM of the module.

    > Really, their website says they don't have PPMs.
    >
    > For pointers to other PPM respositoies or how to build XML::LibXML
    > yourself on Win32 see numerous previous threads on this subject.

    Like which ones ?? I did find LibXML on their webpage
    "http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.6-X.html"
    But when I do serach on their Perl Package Manager(ppm prompt) I don't
    get that package. So what's going on here ?

    Any other compatible packages ?

    Thanks

    , Feb 4, 2005
  5. Bart Lateur Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:

    >XML::LibXML isn't part of the core Perl distribution, so you'll have to
    >install it separately. Go to the URL you listed above and follow their
    >instructions for obtaining and installing a compiled and packaged PPM of
    >the module.

    Note that this module requires a DLL from the LibXML project (and I was
    sure that there was a "2" in that name...) that is not installed but the
    PPM. You need to get it separately, preferably first.

    Oh that's right. See

    <http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/XML-LibXML/README.html>

    Prior to installation you MUST have installed the libxml2
    library. You can get the latest libxml2 version from

    http://xmlsoft.org

    Without libxml2 installed this module will neither build nor
    run.

    But that is actually the info for installing the module from CPAN.
    (Either with or without CPAN.pm). But I recall that that DLL *does not
    come* with the module, even when you use PPM. All in all I can say that
    install of this particular module is definitely not the easiest install
    you could ever have to do.

    The same site does provide some pointers to PPM modules: see the bottom
    of

    <http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/XML-LibXML>

    which points into (for 5.8.x):

    <http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/>

    A Google search of this type is pretty always successful in hunting one
    down: search for both module name and "PPD":

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=XML::LibXML+PPD>

    The first result of this search points into Apache's repository, a very
    broad PPM repository in general. Please take care to use one of the many
    mirrors for larger downloads.

    <http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi>

    under whatever mirror you picked, dig into the subdirectory

    perl/win32-bin/ppms/

    and you'll find the PPD files there.

    --
    Bart.