XML Resume

Kurniawan

Xml is very amazing technology! generalism is his power.

I have create called XML resume. that it may be good for you who want
to apply for job.
you can design a web with your resume without putting your data one by
one. just use template of XML. you can save your collection of resume
and display it one by one.

you can check to my site.
http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs.. it seems
attractive and very generic template.

or you can check at
http://www.geocities.com/k.kurniawan
http://kkurni.fateback.com

or you can check at my blog http://kkurni.blogspots.com
any question contact me at (e-mail address removed)

Joe Kesselman

XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
Location: http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
Line Number 2, Column 1:
<link rel="stylesheet"
href="http://66.40.21.67/free-web-hosting-styles.css" type="text/css">

Remember, an XML document can have only one top-level element. And even
HTML should be enclosed in a single top-level <html> element.

Also, if you're trying to impress potential employers, you really should
get someone who is a bit more fluent in English to proofread your material.

No, I'm not volunteering.

RC

Kurniawan said:
you can check to my site.
http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs.. it seems
attractive and very generic template.

Would you please test your XML file in several browsers first?

Here is an error message from Netscape or Firefox browser.

XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
Location: http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
Line Number 2, Column 1:<link rel="stylesheet"
href="http://66.40.21.67/free-web-hosting-styles.css" type="text/css">
^

Need to have an empty tag like

<link rel="...." href="...." type="text/css" />

Peter Flynn

Kurniawan said:
Xml is very amazing technology! generalism is his power.

I have create called XML resume. that it may be good for you who want
to apply for job.
you can design a web with your resume without putting your data one by
one. just use template of XML. you can save your collection of resume
and display it one by one.

you can check to my site.
http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml

That is not an XML file. It's a whole bunch of garbage pseudo-HTML
*enclosing* an XML file.
This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs..

No it won't. At least not in its present form.
it seems
attractive and very generic template.

That is a value judgment :)

There is no schema or DTD, so there is no way to replicate this
reliably.

///Peter

Ed Beroset

Peter said:
That is not an XML file. It's a whole bunch of garbage pseudo-HTML
*enclosing* an XML file.

I think that if you were to extract that XML file, you'd see what Mr.
Kurniawan is seeing. I suspect that the junk around the XML file is
boilerplate junk that his free web service is sticking in there, but I
can't really say for sure. I was only looking at it using lynx and
didn't see any of the annoying junk that's apparently there.
No it won't. At least not in its present form.

I think people are being a little too hard on this fellow.
That is a value judgment :)

There is no schema or DTD, so there is no way to replicate this
reliably.

Now *that* is some concrete advice that perhaps the OP can use. In all,
I'd summarize the advice as:
1. create a schema
2. test it in at least two browsers before posting a link
3. make sure that you test it *from the actual server* and not just
locally on your hard drive
4. some further proofreading of the content might be useful

Additionally:
5. your references might not wish to have all of their contact
information offered on the web for every spammer to see (and abuse)
6. there's a better way to create a DOCTYPE in an output file than by
enclosing it in CDATA
7. if you're emitting XHTML, the output-method should be "xml" and not
"html"
8. your encoding seems to be UTF-8, but in the meta tag you've
identified it as ISO-8859-1

I hope that helps.

Ed

Joseph Kesselman

BTW, speaking as someone who has had to read resumes: If you're sending
an electronic version, send PLAIN TEXT (with a note saying "available on
request as" whatever other formats you want to support).

If I can't instantly read it/print it, I may not bother reading it at all.

Pretty is a fine thing for hardcopy, for a website, or for other
"publication" formats. But the first priority for a resume -- or indeed
for most business documents -- is to communicate. Never let style get in
the way of content.

Andy Dingley

I think that if you were to extract that XML file, you'd see what Mr.
Kurniawan is seeing. I suspect that the junk around the XML file is
boilerplate junk that his free web service is sticking in there,

So he has no clue about how to present an idea either.

Don't forget the way it references an expired domain too.
I think people are being a little too hard on this fellow.

If this was a student presenting their first schema design I'd still rip
holes in it. It's just not well-designed as a schema.

As a _first_ schema design, it's really not that bad. But a graduate
ought to be doing better than this.

There's also the question of the many pre-existing resume schemas, and
the basic uselessness of such a thing, as technology recruitment
agencies are too technophobic to adopt such tools anyway.

hilz

Ed said:
No, that just took me to some site advertising lasers for sale.

Ed

the link seems to be misspelled.. geocities and not gwocities....
but still... it sucks!
:)