XML Resume

Discussion in 'XML' started by Kurniawan, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Kurniawan

    Kurniawan Guest

    Xml is very amazing technology! generalism is his power.

    I have create called XML resume. that it may be good for you who want
    to apply for job.
    you can design a web with your resume without putting your data one by
    one. just use template of XML. you can save your collection of resume
    and display it one by one.

    you can check to my site.
    http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
    This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs.. it seems
    attractive and very generic template.

    or you can check at
    http://www.geocities.com/k.kurniawan
    http://kkurni.fateback.com

    or you can check at my blog http://kkurni.blogspots.com
    any question contact me at

    Kurniawan, Feb 12, 2006

  2. XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
    Location: http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
    Line Number 2, Column 1:
    <link rel="stylesheet"
    href="http://66.40.21.67/free-web-hosting-styles.css" type="text/css">

    Remember, an XML document can have only one top-level element. And even
    HTML should be enclosed in a single top-level <html> element.

    Also, if you're trying to impress potential employers, you really should
    get someone who is a bit more fluent in English to proofread your material.

    No, I'm not volunteering.

    Joe Kesselman, Feb 12, 2006

  3. Kurniawan

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 12 Feb 2006 05:41:38 -0800, "Kurniawan" <> wrote:

    >you can check to my site.
    >http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml

    As it's invalid by every reasonable metric, then this is hardly an
    impressive advert for _your_ resume.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Kurniawan

    RC Guest

    Kurniawan wrote:

    > you can check to my site.
    > http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
    > This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs.. it seems
    > attractive and very generic template.

    Would you please test your XML file in several browsers first?

    Here is an error message from Netscape or Firefox browser.

    XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
    Location: http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml
    Line Number 2, Column 1:<link rel="stylesheet"
    href="http://66.40.21.67/free-web-hosting-styles.css" type="text/css">
    ^

    Need to have an empty tag like

    <link rel="...." href="...." type="text/css" />

    RC, Feb 13, 2006
  5. Kurniawan

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Kurniawan wrote:
    > Xml is very amazing technology! generalism is his power.
    >
    > I have create called XML resume. that it may be good for you who want
    > to apply for job.
    > you can design a web with your resume without putting your data one by
    > one. just use template of XML. you can save your collection of resume
    > and display it one by one.
    >
    > you can check to my site.
    > http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml

    That is not an XML file. It's a whole bunch of garbage pseudo-HTML
    *enclosing* an XML file.

    > This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs..

    No it won't. At least not in its present form.

    > it seems
    > attractive and very generic template.

    That is a value judgment :)

    There is no schema or DTD, so there is no way to replicate this
    reliably.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Feb 13, 2006
  6. Kurniawan

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Peter Flynn wrote:
    > Kurniawan wrote:
    >
    >> Xml is very amazing technology! generalism is his power.
    >>
    >> I have create called XML resume. that it may be good for you who want
    >> to apply for job.
    >> you can design a web with your resume without putting your data one by
    >> one. just use template of XML. you can save your collection of resume
    >> and display it one by one.
    >>
    >> you can check to my site.
    >> http://kkurni.fateback.com/resume/resume.xml

    > That is not an XML file. It's a whole bunch of garbage pseudo-HTML
    > *enclosing* an XML file.

    I think that if you were to extract that XML file, you'd see what Mr.
    Kurniawan is seeing. I suspect that the junk around the XML file is
    boilerplate junk that his free web service is sticking in there, but I
    can't really say for sure. I was only looking at it using lynx and
    didn't see any of the annoying junk that's apparently there.

    >> This page will show your resume.xml data using xsl and cs..

    > No it won't. At least not in its present form.

    I think people are being a little too hard on this fellow.

    >> it seems attractive and very generic template.

    > That is a value judgment :)
    >
    > There is no schema or DTD, so there is no way to replicate this
    > reliably.

    Now *that* is some concrete advice that perhaps the OP can use. In all,
    I'd summarize the advice as:
    1. create a schema
    2. test it in at least two browsers before posting a link
    3. make sure that you test it *from the actual server* and not just
    locally on your hard drive
    4. some further proofreading of the content might be useful

    Additionally:
    5. your references might not wish to have all of their contact
    information offered on the web for every spammer to see (and abuse)
    6. there's a better way to create a DOCTYPE in an output file than by
    enclosing it in CDATA
    7. if you're emitting XHTML, the output-method should be "xml" and not
    "html"
    8. your encoding seems to be UTF-8, but in the meta tag you've
    identified it as ISO-8859-1

    I hope that helps.

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Feb 13, 2006
  7. BTW, speaking as someone who has had to read resumes: If you're sending
    an electronic version, send PLAIN TEXT (with a note saying "available on
    request as" whatever other formats you want to support).

    If I can't instantly read it/print it, I may not bother reading it at all.

    Pretty is a fine thing for hardcopy, for a website, or for other
    "publication" formats. But the first priority for a resume -- or indeed
    for most business documents -- is to communicate. Never let style get in
    the way of content.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 13, 2006
  8. Kurniawan

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:55:45 GMT, Ed Beroset <>
    wrote:

    >I think that if you were to extract that XML file, you'd see what Mr.
    >Kurniawan is seeing. I suspect that the junk around the XML file is
    >boilerplate junk that his free web service is sticking in there,

    So he has no clue about how to present an idea either.

    Don't forget the way it references an expired domain too.

    >I think people are being a little too hard on this fellow.

    If this was a student presenting their first schema design I'd still rip
    holes in it. It's just not well-designed as a schema.

    As a _first_ schema design, it's really not that bad. But a graduate
    ought to be doing better than this.

    There's also the question of the many pre-existing resume schemas, and
    the basic uselessness of such a thing, as technology recruitment
    agencies are too technophobic to adopt such tools anyway.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 13, 2006
  9. Kurniawan

    Kurniawan Guest

    Kurniawan, Feb 14, 2006
  10. Kurniawan

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Ed Beroset, Feb 15, 2006
  11. Kurniawan

    hilz Guest

    Ed Beroset wrote:
    > Kurniawan wrote:
    >> I used free hosting. that is why there is bunch of advertised html code
    >> that is not valid...
    >> you can try http://www.gwocities.com/k.kurniawan/resume/resume.xml.

    > No, that just took me to some site advertising lasers for sale.
    >
    > Ed

    the link seems to be misspelled.. geocities and not gwocities....
    but still... it sucks!
    :)

    hilz, Feb 16, 2006