    --
    Mark Harrison
    Pixar Animation Studios

    Mark Harrison, May 2, 2006

  2. Mark Harrison wrote:
    > I've got an API that deals with 64 bit int values. Is there
    > any way of handling this smoothly? Right now I'm casting
    > the values into and out of strings for the API.

    In XML-RPC, everything is transmitted as a string, so I
    don't think that choice is really that bad - except of
    course for the additional clumsiness for invoking explicit
    conversion functions.

    But no, XML-RPC doesn't have a data type that can represent
    integers above 2**32. If you can accept losing precision,
    you can use doubles (but you still would have to convert
    explicitly on the sender).

    > If not, are there any nice alternatives to XML-RPC that
    > support this?

    CORBA certainly supports 64-bit integers.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, May 2, 2006