XML-RPC SSL and client side certs?

Eli Criffield

Does anyone have an example setup of a XML-RPC sever using client side
certs for authentication?

And instead of having a list of certs allowed to connect, I'd like to
allow any cert signed by my CA.

It doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do and I'll probably spend
some time setting it up here soon, but would be interested if anyone
else has already written a solution like this or has used one (in
python of course).

Eli Criffield

Jeff McNeil

I apologize for not giving you a Python specific answer, but for the
XMLRPC services I've deployed, I front them with Apache and proxy back
to localhost:8080.

I do all of the encryption and authentication from within the Apache
proper and rely on mod_proxy to forward validated requests on. I've
settled on basic authentication, but I see no reason why you couldn't
take advantage of mod_ssl.

Thanks, hope that helps. Just another option, really.

Jeff

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Jeff said:
I apologize for not giving you a Python specific answer, but for the
XMLRPC services I've deployed, I front them with Apache and proxy back
to localhost:8080.

I do all of the encryption and authentication from within the Apache
proper and rely on mod_proxy to forward validated requests on. I've
settled on basic authentication, but I see no reason why you couldn't
take advantage of mod_ssl.

There is an issue with forwarding SSL connections, of course: it
is not possible - at least not with the same client identity as
the original user.

In turn, it's not easy to forward the identity of the authenticated
user, either: even though Apache will know who he is, it has no
way of telling on the forwarded request.

So you would have to use CGI or mod_python in this case.

Regards,
Martin