XML Schema - inheritance, attribute redeclaration

Krzysztof Nogal

Hi,

I have following problem with XML Schema definition.
I have following element InitialEcrHeader:

<xs:complexType name="InitialEcrHeader">
<xs:complexContent>
<xs:extension base="ecm:EcmObject">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="CoordinatorContact" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"></xs:element>
<xs:element name="EcManager" type="xs:token" minOccurs="0"></
xs:element>
<xs:element name="DistributionList" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"></xs:element>
<xs:element name="LeadingChangeScope" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"></xs:element>
<xs:element name="ParticipantContact" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"></xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:extension>
</xs:complexContent>
</xs:complexType>

There is element EcrHeader which inherits from InitialEcrHeader:
<xs:complexType name="EcrHeader">
<xs:complexContent>
<xs:extension base="ecr:InitialEcrHeader">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="EcManager" type="xs:token"></xs:element>
<xs:element name="LeadingChangeScope" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="unbounded"></xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:extension>
</xs:complexContent>
</xs:complexType>

Goal:
In EcrHeader element there should be exatcly only one occurence of
EcManager. In InitialEcrHeader it is defined as optional. I would like
to overwrite this definition with the new one - in EcrHeader. But
while instantiating this XML Schema it is allowed to create 2
EcManager elements inside EcrHeader - and it is not allowed for my
case.
Can someone give a tip how to achive that?

TIA
Krzysztof Nogal

Stan Kitsis [MSFT]

Hi Krzysztof,

The derivation you posted is invalid. You are trying to restrict the
original type and your example uses extension - this won't work. Here's
what you need:

<xs:complexType name="EcrHeader">

<xs:complexContent>

<xs:restriction base="ecr:InitialEcrHeader">

<xs:sequence>

<xs:element name="EcManager" type="xs:token"/>

<xs:element name="LeadingChangeScope" type="xs:token"
minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

</xs:sequence>

</xs:restriction>

</xs:complexContent>

</xs:complexType>

Note, if you want to keep other elements in this type, you'll need to list
them in the sequence.

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager

Krzysztof Nogal

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the tip - it is exactly what I missed here. It solved my
problem. Thanks!

Regards,
Krzysztof Nogal