XML Schema: resolve finale resulting schema after inheritances and redefines

Thomas Fischer

Hi,
i have a very complex XSD with frequently use of xsd:extension,
xsd:restriction and xsd:redefine. Now i would like to process
a XSL transformation based on the *resulted* Schema. But I
don't know, how I get the resulted schema.

Example:
========

[schemaA.xsd]
<xsd:complexType name="myElType" final="restriction">
<xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:ID" use="required"/>
</xsd:complexType>
<xsd:element name="myEl" type="fcms:myElType"/>

[schemaB.xsd]
<xsd:redefine schemaLocation="schemaA.xsd">
<xsd:complexType name="myElType">
<xsd:complexContent>
<xsd:extension base="fcms:myElType">
<xsd:attribute name="date" type="xsd:date" use="required"/>
</xsd:extension>
</xsd:complexContent>
</xsd:complexType>
</xsd:redefine>

RESULTED Schema would be:
<xsd:complexType name="myElType" final="restriction">
<xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:ID" use="required"/>
<xsd:attribute name="date" type="xsd:date" use="required"/>
</xsd:complexType>
<xsd:element name="myEl" type="fcms:myElType"/>

Is there any tool or idea, how I can resolve this Problem
(my prefered solution would be in saxon)

salute
Thomas

Henry S. Thompson

Thomas said:
i have a very complex XSD with frequently use of xsd:extension,
xsd:restriction and xsd:redefine. Now i would like to process
a XSL transformation based on the *resulted* Schema. But I
don't know, how I get the resulted schema.

XSV [1] has command line switches to process only schema document (no
validation of an instance) (-i) and reflect out the resulting PSVI(-r),
which contains the whole constructed schema in an XML representation
of the component structure.

Someone may have a stylesheet which can turn this back into schema
documents in the official XML representation -- it wouldn't be at all
hard to write.

ht

[1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Henry S. Thompson

Thomas said:
Hi Henry,
thank you for your answer ...

... but your URL doesn't work:
403 Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~ht/xsv-status.html on this server.

Sorry to all -- my machine was taken down by local computing staff for
most of yesterday :-( -- please try again.

ht