XML Spy memory leak and performance

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rolf Kemper, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Rolf Kemper

    Rolf Kemper Guest

    Hi All,

    may be some one of you has similar expirence with XML Spy (2005)
    We are running it on Windows 2000 Server and Citrix Metaframe.
    (BUT, we confirmed the behaviour on a single laptop too )

    During working you can see that the so-called non paged pool (Add in
    windows task manager NP Pool column ) gets bigger and bigger. This
    makes the spy (and he windows )slower and slower and finally kills
    the system resources completely.

    Any similar experience ?

    The second point is the speed in debug mode in general. For bigger
    xlst this is not good in my personal opinion. But as I have no
    experience with similar tools I can not judge this.
    So, is there an affortable tool with similar functionality but better
    performance in the market ???

    Many thanks for your hints

    Rolf
    Rolf Kemper, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Rolf Kemper

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 20 Jan 2005 14:44:04 -0800, (Rolf Kemper) wrote:

    >Any similar experience ?

    Not with that version, but the older ones were certainly leaky.

    They also seemed to have some internal DDE component that was unstable
    and wasn't unloaded by closing the program. If XMLSpy ever crashed
    (which was frequent) it was a Windows restart before you could get
    back into it.

    I ditched it.
    Andy Dingley, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Am Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:28:25 +0000 schrieb Andy Dingley:

    > On 20 Jan 2005 14:44:04 -0800, (Rolf Kemper) wrote:
    >
    >>Any similar experience ?

    > Not with that version, but the older ones were certainly leaky.
    >
    > They also seemed to have some internal DDE component that was unstable
    > and wasn't unloaded by closing the program. If XMLSpy ever crashed
    > (which was frequent) it was a Windows restart before you could get
    > back into it.
    >
    > I ditched it.

    In favor of what?
    -- Sebastian
    Sebastian Millies, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Rolf Kemper

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:21:40 +0100, Sebastian Millies
    <REPLACE-OBVIOUSsDOTmilliesATidsMINUSscheerDOTde> wrote:

    >In favor of what?

    Well, mainly I left that contract and it's site-wide adoption of
    XMLSpy. I didn't find a direct replacement. My main text editors are
    jEdit or TextPad. jEdit has a useful level of XML support, but nothing
    like as much as XML Spy.

    I never had any use for grid-based data editing or hand-holding XML
    Schema tools. I did like the built-in XSLT support. Mainly though I
    _hated_ XMLSpy as an XML editor - auto-entry of opening and closing
    tags is nothing like as useful as auto-closing of an open element (as
    jEdit does).

    I posted a long rant against XMLSpy about 6 months ago.
    Andy Dingley, Jan 21, 2005