XML substitution problem (simulation)

Discussion in 'XML' started by ian mayo, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. ian mayo

    ian mayo Guest

    Hi all,
    I'm producing an simulation environment using scenarios defined in XML.

    I want my users to be able to create a "variance" file in XML which will
    allow them to specify how the original scenario should be modified before
    re-running. Such modifications include:
    - a new attribute value based either on a distribution or choice of values
    or
    - new elements to use based on a series of choices

    I'm developing in Java, but am unsure of the optimal technologies to use.
    The following is currently the favourite:
    - Let the variance file identify the attribute/element to change using XPath
    - Read the sceanrio into a DOM, then work through the variances - finding
    the attribute/element to change using XPath then generating a new value
    using variance attributes.

    I'd appreciate anybody's opinions on this strategy. I've a gut feeling it
    may be possible with XSLT, but I can't think how.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    ian mayo, Sep 23, 2003