xml-to-word document

Moti

Hi all,
I would like to perform xml-to-word conversion. Is there a perl module
that can perform it?
If not, maybe there are other ways to do it ..
Thanks in advance, Moti.

Florian Kaufmann

I don't have an exact knowledge about XML, but I can say that XML is
much more than a text file format. You can describe/store things with
it that you cant describe/store with a word document. Thus it is not
possible to convert from XML in general to a word document.

Martijn Lievaart

Hi all,
I would like to perform xml-to-word conversion. Is there a perl module
that can perform it?
If not, maybe there are other ways to do it .. Thanks in advance, Moti.

Read Florian response first. That said, convert to html, word generally
reads that fine. Store in it a file with a .doc extension and it will
even be opened by Word by default on Windows.

M4

Jürgen Exner

Moti said:
I would like to perform xml-to-word conversion.

I don't understand what you are looking for. XML is just plain text with
specific syntax rules. Microsoft Office Word will open an XML file just
fine. There is no need for any conversion.

jue

Peter J. Holzer

I don't understand what you are looking for. XML is just plain text with
specific syntax rules. Microsoft Office Word will open an XML file just
fine.

Any XML file, or just XML files with a DTD it recognizes? If the former,
it probably just opens them as text files, which is trivially possible
but not very useful.
There is no need for any conversion.

There is, but it depends almost certainly on the DTD. For example, when
you convert a DocBook document, you would want to convert a title
element within a section element to a paragraph with the appropriate
heading style.

hp

Jürgen Exner

Peter J. Holzer said:
Any XML file, or just XML files with a DTD it recognizes? If the former,
it probably just opens them as text files, which is trivially possible
but not very useful.

Any XML file. And I agree with both of your assessments :)
There is, but it depends almost certainly on the DTD. For example, when
you convert a DocBook document, you would want to convert a title
element within a section element to a paragraph with the appropriate
heading style.

Sooooo, first of all we need to know more about what kind of XML files the
OP is talking about and _how_ he wants to convert them.

jue