    & very technical affair?

    Thanks a lot.
    Deepak

    deepak, Dec 29, 2003

  2. "deepak" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello we are a online area rug retailer. We are preparing a proposal
    > for another online site that will send us traffic. They want us to "be
    > able to report sales data on a monthly basis in XML transaction.
    > Orders and returns must be sent XML".
    >
    > What is XML? We are a small setup & don't have a technical in change.
    > I know HTML & a bit os ASP programming. can some one help us
    > understand what we may have to do to meet this request. Is it a costly
    > & very technical affair?

    Deepak,

    Let me answer your last question first : anything is costly if you /
    your team lack the experience. XML is not anymore complex than anything
    else. If you took a random person off the street, someone who didnt know
    what HTML is, and tasked him / her with building an HTML based application,
    you are in for a lot of trouble. Fortunately, there are a lot of people
    around who know about HTML and there are quite a few folks who know about
    XML.

    XML is a format for data. It stands for eXtensible Markup Language. It
    is a modification of SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language). HTML
    itself is a derivative of SGML. So, reading XML is quite easy if you know
    how to read HTML. However, getting something into XML format may only be
    half the job. It depends on what your partner is expecting from you. If they
    are expecting the xml file to be ftp'd / emailed to them, then you are ok.
    If however, they are expecting a SOAP request from you with the XML file as
    the payload, then you will have more work to do.

    Regards,
    Kenneth

    Kenneth Stephen, Dec 29, 2003

  3. deepak

    ian Guest

    deepak wrote:

    > Hello we are a online area rug retailer. We are preparing a proposal
    > for another online site that will send us traffic. They want us to "be
    > able to report sales data on a monthly basis in XML transaction.
    > Orders and returns must be sent XML".
    >
    > What is XML? We are a small setup & don't have a technical in change.
    > I know HTML & a bit os ASP programming. can some one help us
    > understand what we may have to do to meet this request. Is it a costly
    > & very technical affair?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > Deepak

    Your best bet to start is to ask them for sample xml files for all
    transaction types. XML formats are quite like html tags, although
    stricter about having matching beginning and end tags. Once you
    understand them they should not cause you too much trouble (althouigh
    you really should automate the xml creation, since its not a reliably
    accurate process when done manually).

    As the other poster said, if they require you to do SOAP protocol
    transactions or web-service-type interfaces to their server, you will
    need to hire some technical help.

    Ian

    ian, Dec 30, 2003
  4. deepak

    deepak Guest

    Folks, thanks for the education. What is SOAP protocol
    transaction? Thanks

    deepak, Dec 30, 2003