    a better processor out threre. I would really appreciate any suggestions on
    how to speed this up.

    Alex

    Alex, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Alex

    Nick Kew Guest

    Nick Kew, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Alex

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > We am facing a problem with transforming docbook xml to html. I am running
    > PHP4 on apache and i first tried to use sablotron which took 40+ seconds
    > to convert a 50kb xml file. When using xsltproc it went down to 10-15. The
    > machine we have is only 400 mhz but we'd need 2-3 mhz to get anywhere near
    > real time if we use same method as we are now.

    Real-time XML --> HTML using XSLT needs both speed and memory.

    AxKit is the fastest I have seen, but it doesn't scale well to large files
    (but 50Kb is very small). However, I have had serious problems getting it
    running on some platforms as the authors don't have extensive platform
    access for development testing.

    Cocoon is the software of choice for many such applications, as it's fairly
    fast, and it has a cache for re-serving unaltered already-converted docs.
    But it's Java, so it's a memory hog, and its garbage collection is poor.
    I've had it running quite happily on a 400MHz machine provided I don't try
    to use the machine as my workstation at the same time :-( but do fill it to
    the max with memory.

    PropelX is a commercial transformation server. I don't have speed metrics,
    but ask the supplier (www.propylon.com).

    Do you really need real-time transformation? If the documents only change
    every few hours, maybe a static conversion using Saxon or similar is a
    better answer, triggered each time a document is re-saved.

    ///Peter
    &;top"

    Peter Flynn, Mar 22, 2005