XML Validation in Python using XSV

bmichel

I'd like to use XSV for validating an XML file in Python.
I am working on Linux Debian platform.
I'm not sure how to install XSV and how to configure it. My goal is to
be able to import the XSV library in Python and be able to use it's
functions.

XSV v2.10 for Debian available here:
ftp://ftp.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/pub/XSV/XSV_2.10-1_all.deb

How do i do that?

Stefan Behnel

I'd like to use XSV for validating an XML file in Python.
I am working on Linux Debian platform.
I'm not sure how to install XSV and how to configure it. My goal is to
be able to import the XSV library in Python and be able to use it's
functions.

You can use "dpkg" to install the .deb. Read "man dpkg".

BTW: any reason you need to use XSV? There are some other libraries out there
that can validate XML based on XML Schema and RelaxNG, e.g. lxml. They are
much more powerful than XSV.

Stefan

bmichel

No particular reason for XSV
I just want to validate XML files against an XML schema through Python.
If you can suggest any other package for debian, I'll be glad to try
it.

Michel

bmichel

I've read a bit about lxml, didn't found anything related to validating
XML schema...

Maybe you can give more details on how to install lxml and use it in
Python to validate XML files against an XML Schema
I'm going to ask the server administrator to install lxml, so I can't
play around a lot with the system trying stuff.

It would be nice if you can tell me:
- What files to download, where to download them from
- How to install it and configure it
- How to import the functions in Python

Thanks again
Michel

Stefan Behnel

I've read a bit about lxml, didn't found anything related to validating
XML schema...

Maybe you can give more details on how to install lxml and use it in
Python to validate XML files against an XML Schema
I'm going to ask the server administrator to install lxml, so I can't
play around a lot with the system trying stuff.

It would be nice if you can tell me:
- What files to download, where to download them from
- How to install it and configure it
- How to import the functions in Python

Being able to read can simplify a lot of things these days.

See above to find out how to install lxml on Debian. See the page mentioned
above to find out how to use lxml. I mean this page:

http://codespeak.net/lxml/

in particular this section:

http://codespeak.net/lxml/#documentation

or simply search that page for things like "XML Schema" or "API documentation".

Hope that gets you on the right track,
Stefan