    the other and the reasons why. Maybe examples of when they have been
    used to effect in the past. Cheers

    Burnsy

    mr_burns, Dec 10, 2004

  2. mr_burns

    Guest

    well ... anybody?

    , Jan 8, 2005

  3. On 7 Jan 2005 17:14:40 -0800, wrote:

    >well ... anybody?

    What?

    --
    Rex

    Jan Roland Eriksson, Jan 8, 2005
  4. mr_burns

    anonymous Guest

    mr_burns wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Although I have been using XML and RDB in my web applications, I am
    > still a little unsure about when to use one from the other.
    >
    > Can anybody please contribute to this when one is more suitable than
    > the other and the reasons why. Maybe examples of when they have been
    > used to effect in the past. Cheers
    >
    > Burnsy

    I will take a stab:

    For our architecture we have found that DATA es best stored in RDBM, but
    the USE of the data in terms of applications is more effective as XML.

    Since many of our (government) customers want to expose business
    functions as both web pages and as web services, we tend to return XML
    from most database functions.

    This XML can then be used as output from a web service or (in
    conjunction with XSLT) be transformed into xhtml.

    Software AG would argue that data would then best be stored in their XML
    database, Oracle and others would point out that RDBMS is more effective
    and that SQL DML and DDL is standard.

    As our conclusion we developed a series of objects that make it,
    relatively, easy to handle XML from within a JSP (we do not often use
    Servlets, and never EJB).

    I once wrote a whole shopping site using XML output from Oracle and a
    total of 36 XSL style sheets.

    YMMV

    anonymous, Jan 8, 2005
  5. mr_burns