    XML instead?

    Thanks in advance,

    AMB
    AMB, Sep 12, 2005

  2. AMB wrote:

    > Obviously, having a space separated list floating around isn't
    > desirable (it doesn't even support spaces in the data, for one), but I

    You can use CSV (comma-separated-values) and this will
    allow you to have blank spaces in the data. This topic
    has been discussed at length varies times in newsgroups
    like comp.lang.awk.

    > can't think of a killer reason to convince the owner of that system to
    > change to XML.

    Automated validation with DTD or Schema. But this requires
    much work in detail.

    > What reasons can you suggest for not using a space separated list, but
    > XML instead?

    You should also ask for killer arguments against the use
    of XML. You are one of those who have a *brilliant* solution
    first (XML) and then you look for a justification to use
    it in some way. You will run into trouble if you force
    others to buy your favourite toy.
    J??rgen Kahrs, Sep 12, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    AMB <> wrote:

    % Obviously, having a space separated list floating around isn't
    % desirable

    That depends a lot on the data. Delimited lists are faster and easier to
    write and to read. They take less space. They don't handle binary
    data well (but neither does XML), but for textual data, it's always
    possible to pick a delimter which doesn't appear in the data (think
    FS and RS).

    XML handles structured data better and in theory provides unambiguous
    character encoding (although in practice this is not always the case).
    It provides standard mechanisms for describing the content of a file,
    but if the data's structure is amenable to a delimited list, a
    plain-language description of the list format will be simpler and equally
    useful.

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    North York Canada