XML web service to calculate postage and shipping?

Bruce W.1

I'm developing a shopping cart for an ecommerce website. No big deal
until I looked into calculating the postage and shipping of the product.

By now I figured that UPS and The USPS would have a free XML web service
to provide this information. Sofar as I can tell they do not. My
research on this is coming up dry.

Of course there are crude ways to estimate postage, then tack on a few
dollars for handling. This is all a little too imprecise for my taste,
though it may be the best option.

I've found components for sale that calculate postage. This should not
be necessary in this age of .NET and web services, right?

Can anyone share their experience on this matter? What's the best way
for an ASP.NET ecommerce website to calculate postage and shipping costs?

Thanks for your help.