XML Webservice authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by serge calderara, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I would say that it depends what you are planning to do a and who is goinf
    to acess your web service and from where.

    In other words do you planned to published your web service or does your web
    service is part of your asp application.

    The most secure would be to use security feature of IIS and use Windows
    Authentication. Cookies are not secure and are mainly used to retain user
    information except sensitive data.

    If you want to provide FromAuthentication then you could keep in cookies a
    unique GUI corresponding to the user and then refer to that GUI from a
    database where you will extract information.

    hope it helps
    regards
    serge

    serge calderara, Mar 1, 2006

  2. serge calderara

    GMG Guest

    GMG, Mar 1, 2006

  3. serge calderara

    Josh Twist Guest

    One of the key features FormsAuthentication offers is automatic
    redirect for non-logged in users to a login page. As I'm sure you'll
    appreciate this makes no sense in the context of a web service.

    Most web services don't use cookies in this way, they simply request
    the username/password with each request. You can even use WSE
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse/) to help you do
    this in an industry standard way (WS-Security standard).

    If you have any questions about any of this - just shout!

    Josh
    http://www.thejoyofcode.com/

    Josh Twist, Mar 2, 2006