XML + XSL (Parser) + MathML

Florian Huber

Hello!

i've got a Problem:

I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
should be readable for most of the site visitors.

I know about the ways mentioned at the bottom of this posting, but my
quations is:

Is there some way to parse the xsl file on the server to diplay the
expressions of MathML also in older Browsers?

Ways to display at the client (from Dessci.com):

//DOCTYPE

<!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "..//xhtml-math11-f.dtd">

"../DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"
[<!ENTITY mathml http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"> ]>

//Namespaces

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
</math>

xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
<m:math>
<m:mi>x</m:mi><m:mo>+</m:mo><m:mn>2</m:mn>
</m:math>

//OBJECT tag and Behavior PI

<OBJECT
ID="mathplayer"
CLASSID="clsid:32F66A20-7614-11D4-BD11-00104BD3F987">
</OBJECT>

<?IMPORT NAMESPACE="M" IMPLEMENTATION="#mathplayer" ?>

//Stylesheet PI

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="style/mathml.xsl"?>

Martin Honnen

Florian Huber wrote:

I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
should be readable for most of the site visitors.
Is there some way to parse the xsl file on the server to diplay the
expressions of MathML also in older Browsers?

Well, you can't simply convert complex MathML expression to HTML that
all browsers understand so while you can certainly run any XSL
transformation on the server that doesn't help you to get a browser to
be able to display complex mathematical equations, unless you generate
raster graphics.

Soren Kuula

Florian said:
Hello!

i've got a Problem:

I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
should be readable for most of the site visitors.
As someone else said, there is no good conversion til plain html (no
matter what you try it will look terrible).

My best guess is to try render it into images on the server side. If you
find some program (open source) that will do that, I'd be happy to hear
about it.

There are several web sites that demonstrate this (try Google for
MathMl), but I didn't find any nice open source project.

Soren