XML + XSL (Parser) + MathML

Discussion in 'XML' started by Florian Huber, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Hello!

    i've got a Problem:

    I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
    should be readable for most of the site visitors.

    I know about the ways mentioned at the bottom of this posting, but my
    quations is:

    Is there some way to parse the xsl file on the server to diplay the
    expressions of MathML also in older Browsers?

    Ways to display at the client (from Dessci.com):

    //DOCTYPE

    <!DOCTYPE html SYSTEM "..//xhtml-math11-f.dtd">

    "../DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"
    [<!ENTITY mathml http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"> ]>

    //Namespaces

    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
    </math>

    xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
    <m:math>
    <m:mi>x</m:mi><m:mo>+</m:mo><m:mn>2</m:mn>
    </m:math>

    //OBJECT tag and Behavior PI

    <OBJECT
    ID="mathplayer"
    CLASSID="clsid:32F66A20-7614-11D4-BD11-00104BD3F987">
    </OBJECT>

    <?IMPORT NAMESPACE="M" IMPLEMENTATION="#mathplayer" ?>

    //Stylesheet PI

    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="style/mathml.xsl"?>
    Florian Huber, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Florian Huber wrote:

    > I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
    > should be readable for most of the site visitors.

    > Is there some way to parse the xsl file on the server to diplay the
    > expressions of MathML also in older Browsers?

    Well, you can't simply convert complex MathML expression to HTML that
    all browsers understand so while you can certainly run any XSL
    transformation on the server that doesn't help you to get a browser to
    be able to display complex mathematical equations, unless you generate
    raster graphics.
    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Florian Huber

    Soren Kuula Guest

    Florian Huber wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > i've got a Problem:
    >
    > I'd like to build a website, which contains HTML and MathML, but it
    > should be readable for most of the site visitors.

    As someone else said, there is no good conversion til plain html (no
    matter what you try it will look terrible).

    My best guess is to try render it into images on the server side. If you
    find some program (open source) that will do that, I'd be happy to hear
    about it.

    There are several web sites that demonstrate this (try Google for
    MathMl), but I didn't find any nice open source project.

    Soren
    --
    Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s...
    Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address.
    Soren Kuula, Feb 22, 2004