XML2HTML

Roy Schestowitz

I have been searching the net, but never managed to find a tools that can
convert, in some form or another, an XML file into HTML. I prefer to avoid
XSL, but rather, have an XML file easily visualised. I tried KXMLEditor,
but it has no export facilities at all.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Roy

Andy Dingley

I have been searching the net, but never managed to find a tools that can
convert, in some form or another, an XML file into HTML. I prefer to avoid
XSL,

Then use DSSSL

(and may God have mercy on your soul)

Roy Schestowitz

Andy said:
Then use DSSSL

(and may God have mercy on your soul)

Do some newsreader display superceded posts? I thought I had aborted that
first message and I would hate to think that clutter is left behind for
others to tolerate...

Roy

Hywel Jenkins

I have been searching the net, but never managed to find a tools that can
convert, in some form or another, an XML file into HTML. I prefer to avoid
XSL, but rather, have an XML file easily visualised. I tried KXMLEditor,
but it has no export facilities at all.

Am I missing something?

XSL.

Hywel Jenkins

Thanks for the sarcasm.

I wasn't being sarcastic - I'd simply missed the "avoid XSL" part of
your post. However, XSL would be the most appropriate way of fiddling
with XML.

Andy Dingley

However, XSL would be the most appropriate way of fiddling
with XML.

Although Roy appears to be working with RSS here, which isn't XML or
easily processed by vanilla XSLT.

Hywel Jenkins

Although Roy appears to be working with RSS here, which isn't XML or
easily processed by vanilla XSLT.

RSS most certainly is XML. What makes you think it isn't?

Andy Dingley

RSS most certainly is XML. What makes you think it isn't?

Why do you think it is ? (and which version are you talking about)

RSS is bedevilled by multiple versions and crap specs. Some of these are
RDF, some are "XML-like" RSS that isn't reliable XML and the rest are
unclear. Only 2.0 and the RDF versions (0.90 and 1.*) are defined to be
XML, and even 2.0 is still frequently not well-formed as XML in the real
world. Some of the 0.9* versiosn claimed (after the spec had been
released for some time) that RSS documents were also conformant XML
documents, but the content model for <description> disagreed with this.

If you build an RSS tool and assume that it will receive well-formed
XML, then you're heading for trouble, It's tag (and particularly,
entity) soup out there.

It still amuses me that even Bruce Schneier's blog offers the full
content in RSS 1.0, but can't provide it in a workable manner for 2.0.