XMLDOM & ActiveXObject

Discussion in 'XML' started by reclusive monkey, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. I am just starting out with XML. I've been playing with XML and XSLT,
    very nice indeed. I particularly like the filtering/ordering functions.
    Anyway, I have started to have a look at scripting, and would like to
    use JavaScript as then I use Firefox as well as IE (tried some
    VBScript, fine in IE of course but no go in Firefox). I have copied an
    example from "XML Unleashed", but when I try it, I get the following
    error;

    A Runtime Error has occured
    Do you wish to Debug?
    Line: 12
    Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

    twice, then twice with line 43. Firefox JavaScript console gives the
    following;

    Error: ActiveXObject is not defined
    Source File: file:///S:/Forms/XML/ReadyChecker.htm
    Line: 11

    Its something to do with microsoft.xmldom, and I've googled all over
    for this but I only found one post on Tek Tips that seemed relevant but
    the link it pointed to on the Microsoft site is no longer there. I know
    nothing of JavaScript, so I have obviously missed something simple but
    I am really stuck here! Can anyone help me out? The full source is
    here;

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
    <head>
    <title>XML Ready Checker</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="XML_style.css" type="text/css"
    media="screen">
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    var xmldoc;

    function LoadDoc() {
    xmldoc = new ActiveXObject ("microsoft.xmldom");
    READYINFO.innerHTML += "<br>" + "Tracking ready states:" + "<br>"
    xmldoc.onreadystagechange = TrackReadyState;
    xmldoc.load(URL.value);
    DocInfo();
    }

    function TrackReadyState() {
    var state = xmldoc.readyState;
    READYINFO.innerHTML += "Ready state = " + state + "<br>"
    if (state == 4) {
    var err = xmldoc.parseError;
    if (err.errorCode !=0)
    READYINFO.innerHTML += err.reason + "<br>"
    else
    READYINFO.innerHTML += "Document loaded successfully." + "<br><br>"

    function DocInfo() {
    DOCINFO.innerHTML += "Document URL: " + xmldoc.url + "<br>";
    DOCINFO.innerHTML += "Document typr: " + xmldoc.doctype.name +
    "<br>";
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    </head>
    <h1>SCSD Finance Department</h1>
    <h2>XML Ready Checker</h2>
    <input type="text" size="50" id="URL">
    <input type="button" value="Load XML Document" onclick="LoadDoc()">
    href="mailto:"></a>
    Finance Technician, Finance Dept., SCSD, Ext.: 2597.

    Thanks for looking.
    reclusive monkey, Jan 19, 2005

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/sarissa/
    Berislav Lopac, Jan 19, 2005

  3. reclusive monkey wrote:

    > I am just starting out with XML. I've been playing with XML and XSLT,
    > very nice indeed. I particularly like the filtering/ordering functions.
    > Anyway, I have started to have a look at scripting, and would like to
    > use JavaScript as then I use Firefox as well as IE (tried some
    > VBScript, fine in IE of course but no go in Firefox).

    It doesn't really matter what you use with IE (Windows) as the objects
    used for scripting XML and XSLT are not part of the core JavaScript
    language but are simply ActiveX objects you use from J(ava)Script or
    VBscript. These objects are not accessible from script in Firefox, not
    even on the Windows platform.
    For scripting XSLT in Firefox/Mozilla, see
    <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/js-interface.html>
    though if you are new to all that then you might be better of with
    Sarissa, an attempt to provide one scripting interface usable with both
    MSIE/Win and with Mozilla browsers:
    <http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/doc/>

    > A Runtime Error has occured
    > Do you wish to Debug?
    > Line: 12
    > Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

    > xmldoc = new ActiveXObject ("microsoft.xmldom");
    > READYINFO.innerHTML += "<br>" + "Tracking ready states:" + "<br>"
    > xmldoc.onreadystagechange = TrackReadyState;

    Seems to be a typo
    xmldoc.onreadystatechange = ...
    while you have
    xmldoc.onreadystagechange

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Thanks for the reply Martin, I understand the objects issue a little
    more now. I've downloaded Sarissa and will take a look at that
    tomorrow. Also, thanks to your "eagle eye". Once you've read something
    through a few times, I don't think you really see it any more. I would
    of probably never spotted the typo! Once again, many thanks.
    reclusive monkey, Jan 19, 2005