XmlHttp (AJAX) and postbacl

Grant Merwitz

Hi

I am trying to use some AJAX to get myself more familiar with it.

So what i'm currently doing, is retrieving a table from my database and
displaying this to the user.
What i would normally use a datagrid for, i am now creating this table
client side with javascript.
Is this the right way to do it?

The thing i'm really stuck on now, is i have placed a checkbox next to each
dataitem.
I would like my user to select a few check boxes and then send that list
back to the server.
However, through post back the list i have created through javascript just
disappears.

How am i supposed to do this?
Will i be able to send that list to the server?

TIA

jasonkester

Remember, with an XmlHttpRequest you won't have the luxury of
runat=server style access to your Input controls. You'll have to dig
around in the Request.Form and Request.QueryString collections to find
your checkbox values.

So yeah, you're probably sending it just fine. You're just not looking
for it in the right place!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Grant Merwitz

Yeah thanx.
I was eventually using Javascript to generate a list of the checked boxes,
and using another XmlHttp request to update these accordingly.
But then was asked to first filter my list and showing this to the user
before doing the update.

This proved too difficult - as i couldn't do it without another request to
the db
I guesse i could have saved the original list in a array or something, but i
abandoned my AJAXing and went with regular .NET

one day i'll use it properly .... one day!!!!