xmlhttp request reaching server late

raghuram.nidagal

We use xmlhttp to query data from the server and also to submit data
to the server to initiate transactions. The querying is a polling
mechanism which is continuously polling the server.
We notice that sometimes for some users while the http request to
query data reaches the server within a second, the time taken to
submit data is extremely high (in excess of 5 secs). I wanted to
understand what could be the possible reason for this behaviour.
Thanks
Raghu

Bart Van der Donck

We use xmlhttp to query data from the server and also to submit data
to the server to initiate transactions. The querying is a polling
mechanism which is continuously polling the server.
We notice that sometimes for some users while the http request to
query data reaches the server within a second, the time taken to
submit data is extremely high (in excess of 5 secs). I wanted to
understand what could be the possible reason for this behaviour.

It depends on the ISP and the subscription type, but upload traffic is
usually much slower than download traffic. In my case I have a 10 MB/
sec downstream and 1 MB/sec upstream. And the larger the submitted
data (upload), the slower the data will arrive at server. Not sure
which method you use, but server also needs a bit more time to parse
POST-requests compared to GET.

Hope this helps,

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* (e-mail address removed) wrote in comp.lang.javascript:
We use xmlhttp to query data from the server and also to submit data
to the server to initiate transactions. The querying is a polling
mechanism which is continuously polling the server.
We notice that sometimes for some users while the http request to
query data reaches the server within a second, the time taken to
submit data is extremely high (in excess of 5 secs). I wanted to
understand what could be the possible reason for this behaviour.

In addition to Bart's remarks also note that the queries might inter-
fere with the submissions, or there may be yet other requests to the
server, like images loading in the background, so that the browser may
run out of networking resources (e.g. there usually is a per-host and
sometimes a per-ip address connection limit that varies among browser
versions). You could use network analyzers like WireShark to gain some
insight into this kind of situation.