xmlhttp requests not returning until long-running process is compl

Guest

Hello,
I have an issue with a long-running import process in our asp.net app (1.1).
After the user initiates an import, we're trying to make periodic xmlhttp
requests to update a progress bar. In development (running the webserver on
localhost) this works fine. When we move the code to our build environment,
the webserver won't respond to the xmlhttp request until the import is done.
I've tracked the problem down to the session ID cookie -- if it's removed
from the request the webserver responds immediately. So I basically have 3
questions:

1) Does asp.net not process 2 concurrent requests for a single session id?
2) Why does the code work in development but not build? the webservers are
configured the same.
3) Is there any way to make the xmlhttp request without sending any cookie
information?

Any help would be awesome, Thanks
Peter L.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

point 1 is true, asp.net only allows one concurrent request to the same
session. this is to manage locking, especially for out of proc session
managers. to clear the cookie use setRequestHeader. a better approach is to
have the long running process use a background thread, so that the first
request completes. then you can poll for results.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)