XMLMind and Literate Programming

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mike Maxwell, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell Guest

    (apologies if this is not the right place to ask--suggestions on a more
    appropriate venue welcome!)

    I would like to do some literate programming-type writing, probably
    using the DocBook format. The paper by Norman Walsh entitled "Literate
    Programming in XML" seems to be a good way to do that, using a couple
    small namespace extensions (src:fragment and src:fragref). I could
    write it in raw XML if need be, but I'd rather use s.t. like XMLMind.

    However, while the freeware version of XMLMind does a fine job with text
    (and probably lots of other things), it doesn't seem to know about
    literate programming, and in particular it doesn't know about Walsh's
    extensions for literate programming.

    (But when I search for "src:fragment" etc. in the files in XMLMind's
    config and docs directories, I get approximately a quarter bazillion
    hits. So XMLMind uses literate programming somehow, although I'm not
    sure I understand what these directories are for.)

    So, my questions:

    Is it possible to tell XMLMind (either the freeware version or the pay
    version) about Walsh's literate programming extensions? The 'Help' says
    that the dlg box to add a namespace is "not displayable for
    non-namespace aware documents", and that "XXE [= XMLMind XML Editor] is
    not namespace aware for a document using a DTD as its grammar."

    I tried inserting the xmlns: attribute into the <article> tag, as per
    Walsh's article. But this gives an error 'element has no attribute
    "xmlns:src"'. I presume this is because XMLMind (and DTDS in general?)
    is not namespace aware. If so, just how are you supposed to add an
    extension like Walsh's?

    If I had a schema for DocBook, rather than a DTD, would it be "namespace
    aware"?

    Other ideas welcome... what I think would help most is a _small_ but
    _complete_ sample showing 'fragment' and 'fragref' embedded into a
    DocBook doc. That's what I thought the sample code in Walsh's paper
    was, but it doesn't seem to be stand-alone (and of course the URLs and
    such like are old).

    Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Mike Maxwell wrote:

    > (apologies if this is not the right place to ask--suggestions on a more
    > appropriate venue welcome!)

    XXE (XMLMind XML Editor) has a dedicated mailing-list for support, even
    for the free Standard Edition:

    --
    To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
    in the given address: m.collado -> mcollado

    Manuel Collado, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell Guest

    Manuel Collado wrote:
    > XXE (XMLMind XML Editor) has a dedicated mailing-list for support, even
    > for the free Standard Edition:

    Thanks, I'll do that--someohow I missed that link.

    Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell, Nov 3, 2004