XmlNode ParentNode???

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by pxpilot, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. pxpilot

    pxpilot Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to retrieve title of the parent (post) by the id of the
    comment, Why doesn't this work?

    XML
    <root>
    <post>
    <title>text</title>
    <comment id='100'>text</comment>
    <comment id='101'>text</comment>
    </post>
    </root>

    ASP
    Dim xmlRoot As XmlNode
    Dim postId as Integer
    xmlRoot = xmldoc.SelectSingleNode("root")
    postId = xmlRoot.SelectSingleNode("root/post/
    comment[@id='101']").SelectSingleNode("title").InnerText

    Help!

    pxpilot, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Hello pxpilot,

    Number of ways, including the xpath to take the parent node ".."
    or ParentNode method from XmlNode http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmldocument.parentnode.aspx

    ---
    WBR,

    p> Hi,
    p> I am trying to retrieve title of the parent (post) by the id of the
    p> comment, Why doesn't this work?
    p> XML
    p> <root>
    p> <post>
    p> <title>text</title>
    p> <comment id='100'>text</comment>
    p> <comment id='101'>text</comment>
    p> </post>
    p> </root>
    p> ASP
    p> Dim xmlRoot As XmlNode
    p> Dim postId as Integer
    p> xmlRoot = xmldoc.SelectSingleNode("root")
    p> postId = xmlRoot.SelectSingleNode("root/post/
    p> comment[@id='101']").SelectSingleNode("title").InnerText
    p> Help!
    p>

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Feb 23, 2008