xmlrpclib or twisted?

Discussion in 'Python' started by flupke, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. flupke

    flupke Guest

    Hi,

    previously i made an application that used sockets to
    do some network based processing.
    My next app is again going to be a client/server app
    and i wanted to see if i can't find an easier way to
    make the networking going.
    I bumped into xmlrpclib and also twisted (pb).
    I'm not sure which on of these would suit my needs better.
    I am planning to build a web GUI for the client so if i
    use twisted, i would already have the components in there
    to do so, so this could be a plus for twisted.
    The client will connect to the server to receive data.
    The data is the result of one of several queries and these raw
    results would then be displayed in the client via a webgui or
    wxPython. (leaning towards webgui)

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks
    Benedict

    flupke, Dec 6, 2004

  2. flupke wrote:

    > I am planning to build a web GUI for the client so if i

    If you are planning to build a browser based interface
    then use an available webserver and don't build
    your own.

    Istvan.

    Istvan Albert, Dec 6, 2004

  3. flupke

    Andy Gross Guest

    If you're not concerned about interoperability with other languages and
    are already using Twisted, I'd go with PB. Especially if you are using
    complicated datatypes that have to be serialized and sent over the wire
    - PB has a nice Cacheable type that doesn't serialize the whole object.
    XMLRPC on the other hand is a little simpler and will work with
    third-party stuff.

    /arg

    Andy Gross, Dec 6, 2004
  4. flupke