xmlrpclib with technorati

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alan Little, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Alan Little

    Alan Little Guest

    I'm trying to write a generic weblog update notifier using xmlrpclib,
    starting with technorati. What I want to do is something like this :

    XML config file that would look like this:

    <server url="http//whatever,technorati.org"
    methodname="technoratiMethod">
    <param sequence="1" source="myAttrib1" />
    <param sequence="2" source="myAttrib2" />
    </server>
    <server .... another server

    and code that would do this (pseudocode):

    for serverconfig in xml.findall('server')
    put params in sortedParamList
    server=xmlrpclib.ServerProxy(serverconfig .attrib['url'])
    server.methods[serverconfig
    ..attrib['methodName']](*sortedParamList)

    However, technorati's xml-rpc server gives a permissions error when I
    try to call MethodList(). I don't know whether or how I can call a
    method on an xml-rpc server by binding the method name rather than
    hard-coding it without having access to MethodList()

    For bonus points: anybody know if it possible to get xmlrpclib to send
    non-ascii parameter values (I know this would be a violation of the
    utterly brain-dead xml-rpc spec)
    Alan Little, Dec 15, 2004