XMLSPY allowing parameter entity reference in XML document

Ion Chalmers Freeman

Um, I think XMLSPY is wrong about this, but it was surprising, so I
wanted to check.
my dtd has
<!ENTITY % en "value">
and
<!ATTLIST element attribute CDATA #FIXED "%en;">

so, when I generate an XML document off the dtd, XMLSPY gives me a
one-value dropdown for the value of attribute as "%en;". And it won't
accept "value". Aren't parameter entities meaningless outside the DTD?

Richard Tobin

Ion Chalmers Freeman said:
<!ENTITY % en "value">
and
<!ATTLIST element attribute CDATA #FIXED "%en;">
so, when I generate an XML document off the dtd, XMLSPY gives me a
one-value dropdown for the value of attribute as "%en;". And it won't
accept "value". Aren't parameter entities meaningless outside the DTD?

Yes, it's wrong about this. The %en; should be replaced when the
ATTLIST declaration is parsed.

-- Richard