XMLSpy Grid View

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jan Mueller, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. Jan Mueller

    Jan Mueller Guest

    Hi all,

    I don't know whether this is the right group, let me know :). I tried
    to open this XML file (with internal DTD) with XMLSpy 2005. I guess some
    of you also use this tool.

    http://dret.net/lectures/xml/a/4/wwww.xml

    I'm quite new to XML at all, so I wondered about the following. Maybe
    someone can tell me whether this is correct or it's an XMLSpy bug:

    After opening the file we changed to the grid view and selected

    topicmaps->topics->topic

    There one can see a few elements and attributes, starting with attribute
    "domain". When I scoll to the right, there're two "desc" element
    columns in this grid view (but there's only one definied in the DTD). I
    couldn't figure out what's the reason. I guess it's a bug in XMLSpy? Or
    maybe I'm too stupid?

    Thanks!
    Jan

    Jan Mueller, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Hi Jan,

    Obviously I'm biased, but try Stylus Studio (
    http://www.stylusstudio.com ) - unlike XML Spy which implements a
    proprietary XML processor, Stylus Studio is integrated with all of the
    industry standard XML processing components, like Apache Xerces, MSXML
    3.0, MSXML 4.0, Microsoft System.XML, XSV, Saxon, etc. For more
    information, visit: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_parsers.html

    If your file is correctly written, rest assured that one of those
    processors will handle it. (Conversely, if all of those processors
    report an error, you're probably at fault). You can download a free
    trial here: http://www.stylusstudio.com/download/

    It seems you are doing work with a DTD and grid view, so here are some
    relevant pages:

    Stylus Studio's DTD Editor: http://www.stylusstudio.com/dtd_editor.html
    Stylus Studio's XML Grid View:
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_grid_view.html

    Sincerely,
    The Stylus Studio Team
    http://www.stylusstudio.com

    Stylus Studio, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Jan Mueller

    Jan Mueller Guest

    Hi you Studio,

    Where are the international, localised versions? E.g. XMLSpy is
    available in english & german, Oxygen is available in multiple languages...

    Ok, but you didn't answer my question btw :). I guess you makers of
    Stylus Studio own an XMLSpy license for comparision reasons, so you
    should know XMLSpy quite good and should be able to say whether my
    simple question can be answered with a "yes, XMLSpy is buggy" :) ?!

    BTW, I do not own XMLSpy (yet), because as I said I'm a bit new to XML.
    Imagine, this would be a big plus for Stylus Studio (correct: all other
    XML tools out there) over XMLSpy, because I don't like fundamental bugs
    like (potentially) this one in a so-called mature product.

    But your tool is mature, isn't it? :)

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    Jan