    If I manually enter a root tag, I can use Grid view, but this seems
    pretty silly...anyone know a way around this problem?

    Thanks.
    Mr. Land, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Mr. Land wrote:

    > I use XMLSpy 2004 to work with a lot of #include'd xml files. Because
    > these files don't have a root tag, XMLSpy doesn't validate them
    > correctly, and therefore will not allow me to use Grid view.
    >
    > If I manually enter a root tag, I can use Grid view, but this seems
    > pretty silly...anyone know a way around this problem?

    You want to include XML files. But these files aren't XML because they
    are not well-formed. So you can't include them, right?
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
    Johannes Koch, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Mr. Land

    Mr. Land Guest

    No, I can include these files just fine.

    The problem is, because they are physically separate files, and because
    their tags are included inside the root tag of another file, they have
    no root tags of their own. Because they have no root tags, XMYSpy
    marks them as not well-formed, and won't allow me to use Grid view to
    navigate/edit them.

    I actually sent this problem to Altova and got a response: it won't
    work, and there's no way around it.

    But, I'm thinking, if I can figure out a way to write a small script
    that will quick insert (and remove) a root tag into the current
    document, that would be a good workaround. Problem is I don't know how
    to do that.

    Thank you for your reply.
    Mr. Land, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Mr. Land

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 07:54:25 -0800, "Mr. Land" <>
    wrote:

    >anyone know a way around this problem?

    Stop using XML Spy. It's very inflexible for things like this.

    Of course their behaviour is "right". But in practical terms, I spend
    my day editing all manner of files, some of which are XML, some of
    which are obscure XML features (XMLSpy also fails for Schemas with
    inclusions), some of which are "almost" XML like your example and some
    of which are just plain text. Now if XML Spy was a little more
    helpful to _my_ work in dealing with this workload, then I might use
    it a bit more. But it forces me to use two editors at a time,
    something I won't put up with - and I prefer to work with XML
    inefficiently in my text editor that to be unable to edit simple text
    in XML Spy.
    Andy Dingley, Jan 20, 2005