XP Pro/IIS 5.1/.NET 1.1 Performance Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
    messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
    -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
    application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
    Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
    NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
    news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
    code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
    database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
    uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
    2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the OS.
    In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage, crystal
    reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
    application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

    I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
    OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
    prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
    suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Magdelin
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 1, 2005

  2. This followup was posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    In article <>,
    am says...

    > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
    > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
    > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
    > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Magdelin

    have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
    that?

    --
    Peter Kellner
    http://peterkellner.net
    Peter Kellner, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Yes, I did. Infact, I am currently testing the application with just IIS 5.1
    and .Net framework 1.1 SP1. No VS.NET 2003, crystal reports and third party
    controls.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
    re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
    original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
    Head over to update.microsoft.com and see if there are any updates that you
    need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
    also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
    framework after re-installing

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Thanks for your suggestions. I ran all updates this morning including .Net
    1.1 SP1 but no luck.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 1, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

    Jon Paal Guest

    If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
    corrupted.

    Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
    application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
    check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

    Jon Paal, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
    there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is extremely
    slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 2, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

    Jon Paal Guest

    If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
    the one app.

    Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

    Jon Paal, Aug 2, 2005
  9. The trace log shows maximum time for the LoadViewState and PostProcessData
    but this is normal. I really appreciate your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Aug 3, 2005
  10. did you ever get this resolved?
    for some reason all my applications on my personal version of iis are slow
    to the point of not being usable. This is bad
    (xp pro, dot.net framework 1.1)
    thanks
    kes

    --
    thanks (as always)
    some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting

    =?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=, Sep 22, 2005
  11. Not yet. I think a complete reinstall is the best option. Since I did not
    have time to do a complete reinstall, I am using my second workstation for
    development. The same code works fine on my second workstation.

    Sorry, I know this information does not help much.

    Magdelin

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=, Sep 22, 2005
  12. This may be no help at all, but i got my problem resolved. I have some
    services associated with iis turned off. In this case Cold Fusion 7
    developer. I thought i'd save some resources , but iis kept looking for
    services related to extentions. (.cfm, cfc, ...) This happened even when the
    page was html or aspx with no reference to any cold fusion elements. Your app
    may have a reference to a dll of a diffrent version or , ??
    hope you get this solved.
    thanks
    kes

    =?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=, Sep 22, 2005