XP Pro/IIS 5.1/.NET 1.1 Performance Problem

Guest

Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage, crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

Peter Kellner

This followup was posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin
have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
that?

Guest

Yes, I did. Infact, I am currently testing the application with just IIS 5.1
and .Net framework 1.1 SP1. No VS.NET 2003, crystal reports and third party
controls.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
Head over to update.microsoft.com and see if there are any updates that you
need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
framework after re-installing

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Guest

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran all updates this morning including .Net
1.1 SP1 but no luck.

Jon Paal

If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

Guest

Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

Jon Paal

If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
the one app.

Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

Guest

The trace log shows maximum time for the LoadViewState and PostProcessData
but this is normal. I really appreciate your help.

Guest

did you ever get this resolved?
for some reason all my applications on my personal version of iis are slow
to the point of not being usable. This is bad
(xp pro, dot.net framework 1.1)
thanks
kes

Guest

Not yet. I think a complete reinstall is the best option. Since I did not
have time to do a complete reinstall, I am using my second workstation for
development. The same code works fine on my second workstation.

Sorry, I know this information does not help much.

Magdelin

Guest

This may be no help at all, but i got my problem resolved. I have some
services associated with iis turned off. In this case Cold Fusion 7
developer. I thought i'd save some resources , but iis kept looking for
services related to extentions. (.cfm, cfc, ...) This happened even when the
page was html or aspx with no reference to any cold fusion elements. Your app
may have a reference to a dll of a diffrent version or , ??
hope you get this solved.
thanks
kes