XP Pro Windows Search won't find text in .aspx or .cs files

clintonG

I only ask this here because it so happens that Windows Search requires
filters to enable it to be used to find text in file types such as .aspx,
..cs and so on and is supposed to support doing so but does not. The KB
document [1] explains the missing filters were supposed to be present after
applying the service packs but this has not proven true for any of the three
XP Pro machines with either SP1 or SP2 we have tested on this week.

Does anybody know how to enable Windows Search to be used to find text in
file types used by the framework?

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
METROmilwaukee "Regional Information Services"

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173/EN-US/

Stuart A Hill

Hi Clinton,

I didn't know you could filter using windows search for content in aspx! So
I had to take a look and, lo!, therein I found it! With 'Search for all
Files', 'More Advanced Options' selected, ASP .Net Server page is an
option. And it worked.

I am running XP SP2, I have VS.Net 2003 fully installed with the full MSDN
install. Other than that, I have added nothing else. I am the administrator
on the machine, and it has installed.

Checking my registry the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.aspx\PersistentHandler setting
is {eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}. The article you link to below
discusses how to change the registry to attempt to have this added to
windows search.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Stuart