XP SP2 breaks .NET .dll load via Server.CreateObject("scripting.fileSystemObject")

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by chsmith@speakeasy.net, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm calling a .net / c# .dll from .ASP via Server.CreateObject().

    I regasm, gacutil /i and all runs fine on XP SP1 or older. SP2
    registry subracts System (??) from the registry root nodes and .ASP
    calling my .net dll breaks with Invalid class string to the browser.

    I find that I can fix a SP2 box by adding the IIS user to the permissed
    users for each .dll object in the registry.

    IE: regedt32, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.your_dll_class

    1. Right-click-Permissions
    2. Add - Locations, choose the top pick, your host.
    3. Advanced - Find Now
    4. Choose IUSR_<your host name> Note: if this doesn't work, choose
    Users. The later gives too much privilege but worked for me on my dev
    box.
    5. Click: Full Control and Read, then OK.

    Don't try this: go to root node (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT) add Everyone, add
    full control, advanced, replace all child permissions.

    The above failed and corrupted my registry. I fixed by mounting my
    disk on another box and grabing one of the save point registry files
    out of system information ....

    Is there a generalized solution to installing .NET .dlls that solves
    the .ASP/IIS permission issue?

    IE: regasm mydll
    gacutl /i mydll
    magiccmd mydll

    What might "magiccmd" be that I can add to my install script? Even my
    development box needs the regedt32 right click 10 minutes of wasted
    time to deploy a new .dll. Isn't this a bit nutz?

    I've tried running IIS anonymous access as mybox\administrator and
    aspnet users. No go.

    Any helps?

    tnx curt
    , Mar 27, 2006

    I still have only found that going through the registry entries for
    each .net api and adding the IIS user with all privs is the only tactic
    that works.

    Surely there's a simplier and general solution?

    Thanks, curt
    , Mar 29, 2006