XP styled Tkinter widgets

Dean

Hi All,

I was checking out the demos for tk 8.4.4.0 and noticed that alot of
them (e.g. the scrollbar) have the XP style.

I also noticed that when I use Python 2.3 and a seperately installed
Tk 8.4.4.0 (not the default that comes with the python dist'n) my
Tkinter widgets don't have the XP style. They seem to have the
Windows 2000 style.

It was my understanding that Tkinter just uses tcl and tk underneath.
So why don't the Tkinter widgets look like the corresponding widgets
in the Tk demos.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Jeff Hobbs

Dean said:
I was checking out the demos for tk 8.4.4.0 and noticed that alot of
them (e.g. the scrollbar) have the XP style.

I also noticed that when I use Python 2.3 and a seperately installed
Tk 8.4.4.0 (not the default that comes with the python dist'n) my
Tkinter widgets don't have the XP style. They seem to have the
Windows 2000 style.

It was my understanding that Tkinter just uses tcl and tk underneath.
So why don't the Tkinter widgets look like the corresponding widgets
in the Tk demos.

Hmmmm... your understanding is correct, and I would expect that
Tk would use the correct scrollbar styling whether loaded from
Tkinter or as regular Tcl/Tk. There is a common controls init
that occurs in C, but it may have to do with a manifest that
doesn't get used because it's not part of the DLLs.