XPath command to extract the following info?

JS

Given the below XML file:

<Top>
<Tree id="doc" lang="en" refid="tree">
<blocks>
<block id="block" order="1.1" refid="Type0" type="table">
<parameters>
<parameter id="Name" value="Bob"/>
<parameter id="Position" value="Developer"/>
</parameters>
</block>
<block id="block" order="1.2" refid="Type1" type="table">
<datatables>
<datatable tableid="Type1">
<rows>
<row order="7">
<datum id="a" value="value00"/>
<datum id="b" value="value11"/>
<datum id="c" value="value22"/>
</row>
</rows>
</datatable>
</datatables>
</block>
</blocks>
<outputs>
<output name="out" type="doc"/>
</outputs>
</Tree>
</Top>

I have defined the following rowmapping:

//block/*

Now I would like to extract all id and values from :

parameters and datum

I have tried:

parameter/@id
parameter/@value
datatable/rows/row/datum/@id
datatable/rows/row/datum/@value

but that only gives me the first entry. Any ideas?

How do I get

Martin Honnen

JS said:
[...]

Well you have not provided any details about the context you use XPath
in other than saying that you "have defined ... rowmapping". If you treat
//block/*
as a "row" then you have two rows in your sample XML data, the
parameters child element of the first block id="block" element and the
datatables child element of the second block id="block" element.

Your other XPath expressions certainly select a node-set of id or value
attributes but I guess the environment in which you evaluate them simply
takes the string value of the first node in that node-set.

So map parameter and datum elements to rows, then you can access the id
and value attribute of each row.

JS

The problem is that in my application I am restricted to specify only ONE
"rowmapping". But I can specify multiple "columnmappings", like:

parameter/@id
parameter/@value
datatable/rows/row/datum/@id
datatable/rows/row/datum/@value

But your suggestion seems to imply that what I want cannot be done unless I
specify multiple "rowmappings"?

Martin Honnen

JS said:
The problem is that in my application I am restricted to specify only
ONE "rowmapping". But I can specify multiple "columnmappings", like:

parameter/@id
parameter/@value
datatable/rows/row/datum/@id
datatable/rows/row/datum/@value

But your suggestion seems to imply that what I want cannot be done
unless I specify multiple "rowmappings"?

I don't know your application and how exactly relate row mappings to
XPath but you can certainly use
//parameter | //datum
as an XPath expression to form a node-set of each parameter and datum
element. So try that as your row mapping, then as the column mappings use
@id
@value