XPath

Phani

Hi all,

I am new to XPath. I have a doubt in it.

My xml is like this:

<UserInfo>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chris Bob</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Mike Chris</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chris</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chrisine</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Kiran Kumar</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Kumar</Name>
</Contacts>
</UserInfo>

So, i want to search for all names with the value in enter in html text
box.

If i enter Kumar then the last two nodes should come as it has kumar in
it. Similarly if i enter Chris then first three nodes should display,
but the fourth one should not come.
Is this possible. Please help me on how to do it.

--Phani

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

[...]

If you use the XPath
/UserInfo/Contacts/Name[contains(., 'Kumar')]
then all <Name> elements that contain the string 'Kumar' are found.

Joris Gillis

[...]

Hi,

This is a regular expression problem, regexes are not defined in XSLT1.0, but will be in XSLT2.0

Meanwhile you can use extension, or work around it (in a quite ugly way):
<xsl:apply-templates select="Contacts[contains(concat(' ',Name,' '),concat(' ',$name,' '))]"/>

Or, alternatively, if you can, you should extend the XML structure: split the name node in a 'name' and 'surname' node.

regards,

Phani

Hi Martin,

I have tried your suggestion and it didn't worked out. It is popping up
an error message saying :

Unknown method.
/UserInfo/Contacts/Name[-->contains(.<--,"Apple")]

The following is the code which i have written:

<head>
Body {font-family:Arial; }
th {font-size:0.8em;}
td {font-size:0.8em;}
p {font-size:0.8em;}
</head>

<xml id="UserInfo" src="test.xml"></xml>

#d2d2d2'> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input type=button name='Search' value='Search Now' style='border:1px
solid black;height=20px'onClick='javascript:var sepvar
= col_no.value;
SetAndFilter(UserInfo,DataExtractLower,"UserInfo/Contacts/Name[contains(.,\"Apple\")]")'></p>

<xml id="DataExtractLower"></xml>
<thead bgcolor="#d2d2d2">
<th>Name</th>
<th>Location</th>
<th>Phone</th>
<th>Extn</th>
<th>Title</th>
<th>Department</th>
</thead>

<script language=javascript>
function SetAndFilter (sourceXML, destXML, XPathFormula) {
alert(XPathFormula);
sourceXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
var dummy = destXML.XMLDocument.loadXML(sourceXML.xml);
vNodesToRemove = destXML.selectNodes(XPathFormula) ;
vNodesToRemove.removeAll();
}
</script>

So, whatever the user types in should check for the initial characters
of both firstname and last name.

If a user enters "cla" then it should bring back "Michael clark" as
well as "clark michael"

Hope my question is understandable. I learnt a way to program to
display xml like html tables using data islands...

--Phani

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

I have tried your suggestion and it didn't worked out. It is popping up
an error message saying :

Unknown method.
/UserInfo/Contacts/Name[-->contains(.<--,"Apple")]

Are you using IE 6? Only IE 6 comes with MSXML 3 which supports XPath
1.0, earlier versions of IE come with an MSXML version that doesn't
support XPath 1.0. So you either need to install IE 6 or you need to
install MSXML 3 in so called replace mode.

Phani

I have installed IE6 installed Martin.

Can you tell me on any other ways to do this type of things.

I wanted to load all xml in single shot(when page loads) and then use
the xml (or data islands) to search /filter.
Please let me know on this...

--Phani.

Martin Honnen

Phani said:
I have installed IE6

Looking at your code again I think the problem is here:

sourceXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
var dummy = destXML.XMLDocument.loadXML(sourceXML.xml);
vNodesToRemove = destXML.selectNodes(XPathFormula) ;

You need to set the SelectionLanguage on destXML e.g.
destXML.setProperty("SelectionLanuage", "XPath")

Phani

Yep Martin, i have tried it and this time i didn't got any error.

The javascript written in the code is wrong. It is working only if the
xpath expression contains "!".

like if name!="Apple" then destXML contains only the documents which
have Apple in them.

I need to change it. Can you help me on this. I think vNodesToRemove is
where the problem is .
Can we use "not" expression in XPATH.

--Phani

Joris Gillis

Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum
What's the latin translate to? 'XML is for us all to enjoy'?
:) that would have been a nice slogan too...
It means: "Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that XML should be used by everyone/for everything/to every purpose"

At least that's what the translation ought to be. I'm not entirely sure if that's the precise translation, but grammatically it is correct or at least should be since I'm in the 6th Latin class.

I'd also like to invent a slogan with W3C in it, but I've not enough inspiration...