XQuery APIs -- how do you identify the XML source

Benjamin G. Jones

I am having a very basic problem with XQuery.

I want to use an XQuery API in Java (either Saxon or Qexo), and I have
an XQuery expression that works as expeced from the command line if I
specify a filename before the xpath expression.

What I want to know is this: If I want to use
Qexo's gnu.xquery.lang.XQuery.eval() or
Saxon's QueryExpression.evaluate(),
how do I specifiy the input in the Xquery statement?
For line 3 of the xquery, I want to say something analagous to:

let $vars=string({xml string goes here})//ci/text()

or

let $vars=input()//ci/text()

to read whatever the argument of eval is.
but neither of these seem to work.

Please please help!

Thanks,

(Expressions appear below).
------------ start xquery ---------------------------
1 <varlist>
2 {
3 let $vars:=document("equation.mml")//ci/text()
4 for $var in $vars
5 return
6 <var>{$var}</var>
7 }