XQuery on big files

Pascal Sartoretti

Hello,

I want to process big files (e.g. 100 MB) with XQuery. Are there XQuery
processors that work in a "SAX-like" way (and not DOM-like), i.e. which
don't assume that they have everything in memory ?

Thanks for any help

Pascal

Philippe Poulard

Pascal said:
Hello,

I want to process big files (e.g. 100 MB) with XQuery. Are there XQuery
processors that work in a "SAX-like" way (and not DOM-like), i.e. which
don't assume that they have everything in memory ?

Thanks for any help

Pascal

hi,

with RefleX, you can process big files with XPath ; unlike many
streaming-XPath processors, RefleX doesn't restrict the XPath syntax,
but you must be aware that using XPath queries such as //* on the root
would cause caching the complete document causing an OutOfMemoryError ;
however, if you intend to use backwards axis, you'd rather "cast" small
chunks of your input in DOM subtrees, and use the full capabilities of XPath

an example here :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/tutorial.html#N801C30
(the input file is not as big as yours, but big enough to make a simple
DOM parsing fail ; it was the case at the time I wrote this example)

in this example, you'll see how an inline-filter can split a big file in
about 13000 small files with 2 flavours : SAX to SAX and SAX to DOM

enjoy !

--
Cordialement,

///