XS code

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Robert Henniger, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Hi to all.
    Today I tried to compile my script to an .NET DLL.
    This script uses HTML::Template::pro. The compile process works well.
    When I try to use this dll then I get the following message:

    Unhandled Exception: PerlRuntime.PerlException: Can't locate auto/HTML/
    Template/Pro/query.al in @INC (@INC contains: .... .)

    I ve searched for this file but i found nothing. I also contacted the
    author of the module but i am still waiting for a feedback.
    Maybe someone can help me and explain what a .al file do and why it is
    needed.

    Is there something i have to change when i use modules with xs parts?

    The same script with HTML::Template works well but is very slow.
    Thats why i wanna try this module.

    Thanks in advance.

    Best regards
    Robert

    PS:
    + PDK 7.0
    + Perl 5.8.6 Build 806
    + HTML::Template::pro 0.61 (i know that there is a update, but i have
    not found a ppd for it)
    Robert Henniger, Feb 7, 2008

  2. Robert Henniger

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Robert Henniger <>:

    > Today I tried to compile my script to an .NET DLL.
    >
    > This script uses HTML::Template::pro. The compile process works well.
    > When I try to use this dll then I get the following message:
    >
    > Unhandled Exception: PerlRuntime.PerlException: Can't locate auto/HTML/
    > Template/Pro/query.al in @INC (@INC contains: .... .)

    This means something is trying to call the function
    HTML::Template::pro::query, and HTP is attempting to load it with
    AutoLoader. This is strange for two reasons: HTP doesn't define a query
    function, and AFAICS doesn't use AutoLoader. It's possible that v0.61
    used AutoLoader: the oldest version on CPAN is 0.65.

    Did you get your program running correctly *before* you tried to build a
    dll? If not, do that. My guess would be you're calling the
    HTML::Template->query method, which is not supported by HTP.

    > Maybe someone can help me and explain what a .al file do and why it is
    > needed.

    It is used by AutoLoader to load perl subs on demand. These files are
    build and installed when you install a module, if the module uses
    AutoLoading.

    > Is there something i have to change when i use modules with xs parts?

    I wouldn't have thought so; but in general you need to make sure all the
    files your program needs are included in the DLL. I'm sure the tool
    you're using will list the files it includes, and let you edit that list
    somehow.

    Ben
    Ben Morrow, Feb 8, 2008

  3. On 8 Feb., 01:52, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth Robert Henniger <>:
    >

    > > Today I tried to compile my script to an .NET DLL.

    > > This script uses HTML::Template::pro. The compile process works well.
    > > When I try to use this dll then I get the following message:

    > > Unhandled Exception: PerlRuntime.PerlException: Can't locate auto/HTML/
    > > Template/Pro/query.al in @INC (@INC contains: .... .)

    > This means something is trying to call the function
    > HTML::Template::pro::query, and HTP is attempting to load it with
    > AutoLoader. This is strange for two reasons: HTP doesn't define a query
    > function, and AFAICS doesn't use AutoLoader. It's possible that v0.61
    > used AutoLoader: the oldest version on CPAN is 0.65.
    >
    > Did you get your program running correctly *before* you tried to build a
    > dll? If not, do that. My guess would be you're calling the
    > HTML::Template->query method, which is not supported by HTP.
    >
    > > Maybe someone can help me and explain what a .al file do and why it is
    > > needed.

    > It is used by AutoLoader to load perl subs on demand. These files are
    > build and installed when you install a module, if the module uses
    > AutoLoading.
    >
    > > Is there something i have to change when i use modules with xs parts?

    > I wouldn't have thought so; but in general you need to make sure all the
    > files your program needs are included in the DLL. I'm sure the tool
    > you're using will list the files it includes, and let you edit that list
    > somehow.
    >
    > Ben

    Hi Ben.
    Thank you very very much for your feedback.
    Maybe I should learn to read the documentation a bit more precisly.
    I checked my code, and of course i am using the query methode. And yes
    this methode is not implemented yet.
    Do you know if it is possible to implement this methode in the perl
    part or do i have to do that in the xs code?

    I am very sorry that i wasted your time with my stupid questions.

    Robert
    Robert Henniger, Feb 8, 2008
  4. Robert Henniger

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Robert Henniger <>:

    [HTML::Template::pro]

    > I checked my code, and of course i am using the query methode. And yes
    > this methode is not implemented yet.
    > Do you know if it is possible to implement this methode in the perl
    > part or do i have to do that in the xs code?

    I'v really no idea. I would suspect that it's Hard to implement in HTP
    without losing the speed, as otherwise it would be there already.

    > I am very sorry that i wasted your time with my stupid questions.

    That's OK: I don't have to answer them :).

    Ben
    Ben Morrow, Feb 8, 2008