    I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a step by step guide to
    installing this module that requires compiling for the .XS file
    extension? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    bass150db, May 9, 2005

  2. "bass150db" <> wrote in news:1115606834.968360.9510
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I am trying to install The module Text::CSV_XS in PERL. Apparently
    > since this is a ".xs" I need to run the file throught a C+ compiler. I
    > found some information on DJGPP, but I am not sure what to do.

    Exactly what platform are you on? Whose Perl distribution are you using?

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 9, 2005

  3. bass150db

    Sisyphus Guest

    "bass150db" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am trying to install The module Text::CSV_XS in PERL. Apparently
    > since this is a ".xs" I need to run the file throught a C+ compiler. I
    > found some information on DJGPP, but I am not sure what to do. I read
    > through the documentation, however, I think I need to have a UNIX
    > background to fully understand it. Unfortunately, I barely know UNIX.
    > I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a step by step guide to
    > installing this module that requires compiling for the .XS file
    > extension? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    There's some good info on this in perlmodinstall. At a command prompt,
    simply enter:
    perldoc perlmodinstall

    It's not complete info, but it's a good starting place - I'm loathe to get
    too carried away with dishing out lots of info because you haven't even told
    us which OS are you using, what version of perl, and which compiler was used
    to build your perl. What does running 'perl -V' report ?

    If it's Win32, ActiveState-built perl 5.8 then you might save some trouble
    by running:
    ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Text-CVS_XS.ppd

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, May 9, 2005
  4. bass150db

    bass150db Guest

    Here is my perl -V

    C:\DJGPP\bin>perl -V
    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 6) configuration:
    Platform:
    osname=MSWin32, osvers=4.0, archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    uname=''
    config_args='undef'
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=undef
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
    usemultiplicity=d
    fine
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
    Compiler:
    cc='cl', ccflags ='-nologo -Gf -W3 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1 -DWIN32
    -D_CONSOLE
    DNO_STRICT -DHAVE_DES_FCRYPT -DNO_HASH_SEED -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
    -DPERL_IMP
    ICIT_SYS -DUSE_PERLIO -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX',
    optimize='-MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -O1',
    cppflags='-DWIN32'
    ccversion='', gccversion='', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
    d_longlong=undef, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=10
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8,
    Off_t='__int64', lseeks
    ze=8
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
    Linker and Libraries:
    ld='link', ldflags ='-nologo -nodefaultlib -debug -opt:ref,icf
    -libpath:"C
    \Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86'
    libpth=\lib
    libs= oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib
    comdlg3
    ..lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib netapi32.lib
    uuid.lib ws2
    32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib
    msvcrt.lib
    perllibs= oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib
    winspool.lib com
    lg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib netapi32.lib
    uuid.lib
    ws2_32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib
    msvcrt.lib
    libc=msvcrt.lib, so=dll, useshrplib=yes, libperl=perl58.lib
    gnulibc_version='undef'
    Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_win32.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags='-dll -nologo -nodefaultlib -debug
    -opt:ref,icf
    libpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86'

    Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
    PERL_IMPLICIT
    CONTEXT PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
    Locally applied patches:
    ActivePerl Build 811
    21540 Fix backward-compatibility issues in if.pm
    23565 Wrong MANIFEST.SKIP
    Built under MSWin32
    Compiled at Dec 13 2004 09:52:01
    @INC:
    C:/Perl/lib
    C:/Perl/site/lib

    I am running Windows XP Pro and using Activestate Perl 5.8. Sorry for
    not providing this earlier.

    If it's Win32, ActiveState-built perl 5.8 then you might save some
    trouble
    by running:
    ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Text-CVS_XS.ppd

    I went to this link and I see the .ppd lines of code. Unfortunately I
    do not know how to execute this yet. I will research this. Any
    guidance on this will be appreciated.

    bass150db, May 9, 2005
  5. "bass150db" <> wrote in news:1115651398.612309.297600
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Here is my perl -V

    > ActivePerl Build 811

    > I am running Windows XP Pro and using Activestate Perl 5.8. Sorry for
    > not providing this earlier.

    >> If it's Win32, ActiveState-built perl 5.8 then you might save some
    >> trouble by running:
    >> ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Text-CVS_XS.ppd

    [ Please format quotations from others properly ]

    > I went to this link and I see the .ppd lines of code. Unfortunately I
    > do not know how to execute this yet. I will research this.

    You are not supposed to view the URL in the web browser. You are
    supposed to do exactly what was recommended. So, from the command line,
    run the command

    D:\Home> ppm

    That will start the "Perl Package Manager (ppm)" shell. You can get help
    by typing 'help'. A link to ppm is also installed in the program group:

    Start -> All Programs -> ActiveState ActivePerl 5.8

    Inside the ppm shell, you can search for pre-packaged modules and
    install them. This eliminates the need to have access to the same
    compiler as the one used to compile the ActivePerl distribution.

    By the way, please click on the "Documentation" link in the same program
    group and review the available help. You are supposed to research
    questions before posting.

    Incidentally, from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

    ActivePerl contains the following: core Perl, the Perl Package
    Manager (PPM) for installing CPAN packages, popular modules,
    and complete online help.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 9, 2005
  6. bass150db

    Sisyphus Guest

    "bass150db" <> wrote in message
    > Here is my perl -V

    [snip]

    Ok - now we know exactly what you've got :)
    If you want to compile perl extensions for that particular perl, then you'll
    want to either:
    1) Use MSVC++ 6.0 compiler (aka Visual Studio);
    or
    2) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig, and use either nmake or dmake, along with
    the MinGW compiler - all of which is freely available.

    It will, however, be simplest for you to use the ppm utility (assuming you
    have an internet connection).

    Open the file C:/Perl/html/index.html in your browser. That page contains
    links to nearly all of the documentation (both perl and ppm) that you're
    likely to need. For ppm basics, just click on the link to the "Perl Package
    Manager".

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, May 9, 2005
  7. bass150db

    bass150db Guest

    Thanks, it looks like the ppm shell worked. I installed from the URL
    you provided and I no longer get the error message. Now to figure how
    PERL script CSV2XLS.pl works. Thank you.

    bass150db, May 10, 2005
  8. bass150db <> wrote:

    > Thanks,

    Thanks to who?

    Please quote some context in followups like everybody else does.

    > I installed from the URL
    > you provided

    Who provided the URL?

    > Now to figure how

    .... to post a proper followup.

    You should learn how to do that very soon if you'd like to
    avoid undesirable consequences.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming