xsd: unique name element

Sebastian Kerekes

Greetings,

I'm new to XSD and I'm trying to create a schema for the following: The
document 'persons' should contain 0+ elements of type 'person', which
has a subelement called 'name' which is a complex type consisting of the
elements 'firstname' and 'lastname'. 'name' should be unique, no
combination of firstname and lastname should appear twice.

And that's where I fail, at least XMLSpy tells my, that my code is not
correct. I had a look at some sources in the internet, to me the code
seems correct ..

Could someone have a look at the following code and tell my what my
fault is?

Thanks for you answers in advance,

Sebastian

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:element name="persons">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:all>
<xs:element name="person">
<xs:unique>
<xs:selector xpath="."/>
<xs:field xpath="./name/firstname"/>
</xs:unique>
<xs:complexType>
<xs:all>
<xs:element name="name" type="name"/>
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:complexType name="name">
<xs:all>
<xs:element name="firstname" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:element name="lastname" type="xs:string"/>
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:schema>

Martin Honnen

Sebastian said:
I'm new to XSD and I'm trying to create a schema for the following: The
document 'persons' should contain 0+ elements of type 'person', which
has a subelement called 'name' which is a complex type consisting of the
elements 'firstname' and 'lastname'. 'name' should be unique, no
combination of firstname and lastname should appear twice.

Here is a working schema:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema
version="1.0"

<xs:element name="persons">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="person" type="personType" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:unique name="uniquePersonsByName">
<xs:selector xpath="person" />
<xs:field xpath="name/firstname" />
<xs:field xpath="name/lastname" />
</xs:unique>
</xs:element>

<xs:complexType name="personType">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="name" type="nameType" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="nameType">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="firstname" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="lastname" type="xs:string" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

And here an instance that causes a validation error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persons
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="test2004110201Xsd.xml">
<person>
<name>
<firstname>Martin</firstname>
<lastname>Honnen</lastname>